Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whip Rush

Default Whip Rush

The Genesis is a choice console for shooters, and few companies produced the library that Renovation did. In addition to Gaiares, Arrow Flash, and Granada, it also gave us Whip Rush. Quite the fun little shooter it is, too! We have a full review of it for you. so read up on this little gem and see why it should be in your library.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-24-2011 at 10:17 PM.

YAY! My first review for this place

By the way, for those wondering, the award Whip Rush won was actually two fold. The first was from VideoGames & Computer Entertainment (Best Science Fiction Video Game of 1990), and the second was from Sega (Standard of Excellence Award for winning the VG&CE award).
    Last edited by The Coop; 06-05-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Currently Reviewing: Desert Strike (SMS), Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

Thumbs up

Nice review.
    However, although I can understand someone's appreciation for Whip Rush (because I also like the game to a certain extent), I feel 8/10 is too high a score for it.

It might make people think it's among the best in the system, which is actually not true at all.

I also feel that a score of 8 is a bit high, especially since you descibe pretty mixed impressions in your review
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Please don't take what I'm about to say as my giving excuses or arguing or anything, as it's not intended that way.

The way I review is to try and bring up as many major and minor issues as I can. This may read as a lot of things wrong with the game, but I try and make sure that what's major (score affecting) and what's minor (not so much unless numerous) are pointed out as being just that. This can lead to a lot of things being talked about, and might make the end score seem off, but it's just that I want to make sure that players know what to expect when going in.

Of course, I also found out that the paragraph for the graphics isn't right. I just got done sending an e-mail to the Editor in Chief (Melf?) with the correct paragraph, and an explanation as to what happened (multiple files, Coop copies text from wrong file, Coop fucks up sends wrong version, etc.). That paragraph should read...

"Right off the bat, Whip Rush won't be wowing anyone with its graphics. Put next to the likes of Bio-Hazard Battle and Thunder Force IV, this game looks a bit rough. However, it's not an ugly game at all. In fact, rather than try to build up realistic visuals, Whip Rush steps off to the side, and instead goes for a style that's a cross between cartoony, and realistic. By "cartoony" I mean there's shading on the enemies, backgrounds and such, with designs that look simpler and not so detail oriented. It even appears like the designers tried to incorporate a little bit of “cutesy” into the game's visual style. The stages themselves have variety in terms of design, ranging from tree lined rivers, to clouds, and alien ships. They also have nice amounts of parallax scrolling going on, giving them a good sense of depth. They don't take you to worlds you haven't already seen before, but they do a good job conveying the worlds they're trying to portray. So overall, while the graphics don't have any wild Konami/Treasure effects, they achieve their style well, and come off looking nice."

As we all know, a 7 means it's fun, but noticeably lacking in several areas, while an 8 means it's polished with only a few minor flaws. To me, Whip Rush falls more into the latter than the former, as it's really not noticeably lacking or broken in any area. What knocked the score down was a small collection of minor things, and not any one major thing.

Anyway, hope that explains why I scored it as I did. With that, I apologize for interrupting this discussion thread.

Apologies not accepted - because there's no need to apologize!
    If your score is 8 then that's it.

Nonetheless I agree with your grading (7= fun but flawed). In the end I believe it all comes down to taste, since the thing I like least about this game is the music. And music for me plays a good part in a shmup.

On a side note, I see Whip Rush as a sort of evolution to the formula presented in Arrow Flash. They improved the graphics, the sound and most importantly the challenge.

Wildside Expert

I think both Whip Rush and Arrow Flash were developed by Sega of Japan; Renovation only published them in the US.

I've read on more than one site that Vic Tokai developed Whip Rush, and that either Telenet, Sega and/or Renovation made Arrow Flash. So I guess the question is, which info is right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    I've read on more than one site that Vic Tokai developed Whip Rush, and that either Telenet, Sega and/or Renovation made Arrow Flash. So I guess the question is, which info is right?
    I believe the ship from Whip Rush turns up in one or both of the Battle Mania (Trouble Shooter) games, and there's shared staff with other VIC Tokai games. Arrow Flash was originally published in Japan by Sega. I don't know who developed it.

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Nice one Coop

8 is way too high.

Another run of the mill shooter, which is nothing new for the genesis.

6/10 from my side.

Picked this game up for few bucks at a local shop.

Now that I've played past the first level, I can honestly say that this is not a bad shooter.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The graphics are simple, but clean. The weapons are all useful, and the game provides a fair challenge.

7.5/10

Hero of Algol

I don't know exactly why but I prefer Arrow Flash over this one. Call me crazy.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

That's taking it too far.
    It's a nice little game, worth a 7/10.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

No, it is definitely a 7.4/10, you scored it too low because you didn't take into account the unique art style and bass drums.

Thread Information