Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Genesis Shmups

Default Favorite Genesis Shmups

I liked the Thunder Force series a great deal (especially Lightening Force), Arrow Flash, and Darius as well.

What are some favorites you would say exist for the Genesis?

For the record, I really hope to play Musha someday, particularly because Robo Aleste was a fine game for the Sega CD, and I understand that it's developed by the same company.

Shoot away!

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

Thunder Force 4 (aka Lightening Force), Trouble Shooter 2 and Gley Lancer are my most loved MD shmups. I have had fair share of fun with Verytex too, particulary with the last boss D:
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Thunder Force IV is at the top of my list. After that, come gems like Steel Empire, M.U.S.H.A., Thunder Force III, Gley Lancer and Eliminate Down. From there, you hit quality titles like Sagaia, Whip Rush, Wings of Wor, Elemental Master, Undeadline, Super Fantasy Zone...

Shit. It'll be easier to just list the games I'm not fond of. Master of Weapon, The Earth Defend and XDR. It's all uphill from there, as I've had fun with a lot of Genesis shmups.
    Last edited by The Coop; 06-12-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

...And Elemental Master is rather awesome too, and Undead Line is quite nice as well.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

I like Task Force Harrier. Though I don't have that many. Nobody ever mentions that one, is it obscure?
    I'm not gonna go get humped by a giant red ape in space.
    -Carl

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    ...And Elemental Master is rather awesome too, and Undead Line is quite nice as well.
    Oh man, Elemental Master is awesome! It's from the people who made Thunder Force, so it's definitely worth it!

It's very tough though.

Premier of the Guild Outrunner Ghaleon's Avatar

Biohazard Battle: I've never beat it, but I love it. Developed by Sega. You have to find the ship that works best for you. I still wonder why it wasn't popular enough to warrant a sequel.

Grind Stormer: pretty good game--also has V5 on the same cart, Japanese variation of the game with different power-up system (use Mega Key or something to unlock it).

Truxton: some don't care for it--read my review for my take.

If you're not limiting to U.S. releases, consider Dangerous Seed (read the review).

I'm probably missing some, but those are worth getting for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    Biohazard Battle: I've never beat it, but I love it. Developed by Sega. You have to find the ship that works best for you. I still wonder why it wasn't popular enough to warrant a sequel.

Grind Stormer: pretty good game--also has V5 on the same cart, Japanese variation of the game with different power-up system (use Mega Key or something to unlock it).

Truxton: some don't care for it--read my review for my take.

If you're not limiting to U.S. releases, consider Dangerous Seed (read the review).

I'm probably missing some, but those are worth getting for sure.
    Wow, Truxton and Dangerous Seed look like some neat shmups to try out, I've also played Biohazard Battle and liked it, but I haven't got around to picking it up yet (I found it at a used game store nearby and I plan to purchase it very soon).

Grind Stormer sounds unique, I'll have to look into that one too.

Your reviews were very good by the way!

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Fire Shark is pretty cool.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I'm hooked on Dangerous Seed ATM, great shooter and the last level is pretty damn tough.

Also been playing Verytex, Curse and Kyuukyoku Tiger (Twin Cobra).

Verytex is OK, bit slow for my liking but still pretty solid. Curse is quite good fun for a side scroller, It can chuck some pretty tricky evasions at you and you quite often end up getting trapped in a corner if you don't use the full screen.
    Kyuukyoku Tiger seems like an awesome game so far but I haven't really gotten in to it yet. Pretty hard game from what I can tell, I think I'm going to like it
    VIEW MY COLLECTION HERE!

Currently Playing: The Bouncer (PS2)

Last game completed: Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)

Sports Talker

Lightening Force is definitely at or near the top so let's ignore that.

Gaiares, Gleylancer, Wings of Wor, Fire Shark, Thunder Force 2 & 3, Eliminate Down(if you're rich), Trouble Shooter 2(ditto), Elemental Master, BioHazard Battle, Steel Empire, Air Buster, Whip Rush, Arrow Flash, and well yeah.

I thought Twin Cobra was a serious stinker though. I'm used to the arcade version and instead of shrinking everything so the entire playfield would fit the guys who ported the game just chopped it in half so everything feels crammed together. What a piece of crap.

MUSHA and Trouble Shooter are also nice but they're so easy I'm hesitant to even call them games. They're more like interactive music videos or something.

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

What Twin Cobra lacks in the graphics department it makes up for it in its catchy tunes.
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Go demon or go home Master of Shinobi AD2101's Avatar

Hellfire, Zero Wing, Fire Shark, Gaiares, and Thunder Force III/IV are my personal favorite SHMUPS on the system. Eliminate Down and Gleylancer are good too, just not that good as far as their asking price goes.

You smell kinda pretty... Master of Shinobi johnnyb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milkymagic View Post
    I liked the Thunder Force series a great deal (especially Lightening Force), Arrow Flash, and Darius as well.

What are some favorites you would say exist for the Genesis?

For the record, I really hope to play Musha someday, particularly because Robo Aleste was a fine game for the Sega CD, and I understand that it's developed by the same company.

Shoot away!
    I`m all for the Thunder Force series as well... but man I find them full on at times, probably just me!

I love every Genesis shmup I own. These are all awesome: Fire Shark, Sol-Deace, Twin Cobra, Thunderforce III, Lightening Force, Insector X, Steel Empire, Gaiares, Hell Fire, Air Buster, Bio-Hazard Battle, Arrow Flash and Forgotten Worlds. I have quite a few more shmups to get to complete my collection.

Thread Information