Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Side by Side: Final Fight (SNES vs. Sega CD)

Banned by Administrators

I don't understand how the graphics are a draw? They totally suck on the SNES compared to the Sega CD. And washed out colours? What? The SNES is the one that actually looks washed out. While the Sega CD version uses really beautiful bold bright colours. I really love the colours choices Sega used very, very much. (Course if you play the Sega CD version in pixel perfect mode via emulation or RBG on HD TV, then it will look washed out & crap. But that's not how the game was meant to be played. Stick to CRT TV or proper emulator filters as Blargg NTSC which exist on most great emulators).

You didn't even make any mention of extra animation frames even, did you?

And the SNES FF runs at slower SNES CPU speed due to the cart being a low-bank cart. So most SNES games don't hit max SNES CPU speed, sadly. Unless companies could afford it.

The SNES also does have an option screen too. It's just hidden (hold L button and press start or something?). And yes, you can change difficulty in this SNES option mode plus assign special move to a single separate button of your choice as well.

I still much prefer the Sega CD over the GBA version without a doubt too (thought I only have the GBA version so far). And most should still prefer the Sega CD version over the Arcade since it's not as brutally coin munching hard. So all folks should start out with the Sega CD version, and only move to the Arcade version if they are looking for more challenge.

The Sega CD version lets you continue on the spot just like the Arcade, while the SNES brings you back to the start of the level. I know for sure many hate not continuing on the spot.

So yeah. Think this segment was done poorly. Sorry, Melf. I love you, but you could of done it better with more playtime and research. I'm at least very glad you mentioned the 3 enemy limit of SNES VS 4 of the Sega CD. Everyone seems to miss this very serious issue or pretend not so see it cause SNES fanboyism, so be proud for noticing this. Ditto for objects on screen as barrels preventing extra enemies from appearing on the SNES version.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    I don't understand how the graphics are a draw?
    Honestly I would probably give the sega cd the edge here as well but after reading the review I understand the authors point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    The SNES also does have an option screen too. It's just hidden (hold L button and press start or something?). And yes, you can change difficulty in this SNES option mode plus assign special move to a single separate button of your choice as well.
    Yeah this was pretty well known back in the day. The second time I read it in the article I actually found myself a little annoyed about it.

This game was probably the one I pumped the most coins into as a kid. So I was quite let down by the snes version.

Thread being revived after a 4 year time frame, nice

There still is some interest in comparing versions I guess. Has there been a proper Sega CD vs. Arcade?

Hero of Algol

An Elite Member Wildside Expert WoodyXP's Avatar

The MegaCD version of "Foinhal Foit" is the best, even better than the Arcade, IMO.

I thought the "Dirty Snez Version" was pretty good back in the day. Not everybody could afford to have the MegaCD version, so the "Dirty Snez" was as good as it got back then.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

The arcade cabinet, like most from Capcom(and a fair number from Konami as well), used the M68000 processor. Just a bit of irony, considering where the favoritism lie with some of those companies.

Thread Information