Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldiers of Fortune

Ceramic Arms Outrunner Kikoskia's Avatar

Ah yes, just remember. You can pick the scientist as your CPU buddie. When you press start the pause the game, you can press B (I think it's B) and switch powers with him. Voila! Instant healing for the Navvie!

Megadrive games: 254
    Kikoskia's Let's Plays on YouTube

Carp, that's right! I'd forgotten about that.

Time to give SoF another go then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikoskia View Post
    The scientist.
    Which was called Preacher in the computer versions.

Agree with the review, excellent top view run n'gun & also excellent port which is better that the Amiga original in some areas since it doesn't have those LONG loadings & also runs fullscreen where there is an HUD bar on Amiga.

& about the SNES version : no characters presentation; no options menu; low-res & some slowdowns. The Mega Drive version is clearly better.

Nameless One

Bought the PAL version (Chaos Engine) about two month ago because I've been playing this with a friend on PC back in the MS-DOS days and wanted to relive that.

Most valuable lesson for me:
    Hammering on the fire button releases shots a lot faster than the default auto fire allows and makes the game easier.

Not so good points:
    -It's too long for my taste, but that's the case with most western games
    -There's slowdown as soon as 3 or more enemies appear. First I though this was an issue with the PAL release (which runs fullspeed without switching to 60Hz), but the NTSC-U version seems to have the same amount of slowdown. I'm usually not bothered by slowdown (TF4 for example), but it somehow feels strange in this game.

Raging in the Streets

lol Soldiers of Fortune. Sorry this game will forever be called The Chaos Engine to me and I refuse to accept any alternate title.

Very fun game though, I only really play the Amiga CD32 version to be honest but the Megadrive version punches above it's weight.

Nameless One

I've gone throught this title with some character combinations now and would like to recommend it to everyone looking for a good European style game.

When this game is discussed it's often about visuals, sound effects and all that, but I believe this games strongest points are the stage design and character development:
    Powering up characters is required, but it never gets ridiculous. Looking for treasure in stages makes the game easier but never too easy. And you just can't cheat your way through this game by falling back on unbalanced features. I'd consider the shield the best item in the game, but it becomes available late and eats away way too much special stock as it only lasts 5 seconds. So well planed use us better than brute force,
    One also can't rack up unlimited points or money as all swan points either produce 0 points, 0 currency enemies or self destruct. Same with GODs actually (although that had a one glaring design oversigth with beehives)

Playing a game with weak characters where it's legitimate to go slow and take damage feels good from time to time.

I beat this game today. I had tried it with the Scientist before, but was always killed easily. Now I played with the Navvie. I picked him because he is strong and has a lot of health. I only needed to compensate the low speed at the last world, so I upgraded it twice there (though I had done it a few times before as well, but this time it was really needed). Had I known you could use the Scientist's health pack on your Navvie and hammered the button to shoot faster, perhaps the game would have been easier. But it was managable anyway.

Are you sure the game gives extra lives at every 5000 points? It says and gives them at every 7000 points in the PAL version.

I think the game is great. Love the music and steampunk style, there is a lot of room for variety and the labyrinthine levels are very fun to explore. What annoyed me was enemies coming up right behind you, but it was mostly a problem in the early parts of the game (the frogs for example). I'd give it 8/10, or maybe 9, not sure.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information