Quantcast

Page 116 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2044

Thread: GUIDE: Telling apart good Genesis 1s and Genesis 2s from bad ones.

Yeah, I can certainly attest that my MD2 versions have different component manufacturers based on where they were made, China, Malaysia, Indonesia - makes sense, really. They are all equivalent though.

This is my Japanese Mega Drive 1. I'm confused, is it VA5 or 6???

Quote Originally Posted by Shou View Post
    This is my Japanese Mega Drive 1. I'm confused, is it VA5 or 6???
    It's a VA5. It can be identified by the ASIC chip above the text, in the top right part of the picture.

SEGA
    315-5402

Edit ninja'd

The links to the pics in the original post are broken. Will we see them restored one day? This is sad as it's a great resource of knowledge. I'd hate to see it lost.
    F@ck eBay Club member since 2010

RORRING STAAAAART! Master of Shinobi FuturePrimitive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius View Post
    The links to the pics in the original post are broken. Will we see them restored one day? This is sad as it's a great resource of knowledge. I'd hate to see it lost.
    +1 on that. Those photos should be archived for future reference. Or, SEGA-16 can send in photos of all the revisions again.

Reviews in the pipeline:
    Choplifter (Master System and SG-1000)
    Ys: The Vanished Omens with FM Sound Patch!

Sports Talker

I consistently refer to the top post when needing to clarify differences between Genesis models. With almost 2000 posts, it becomes difficult when searching this thread for comparisons, mostly leading to broken picture links or info that is outdated. Here I go, adding to the pile...

I am using a US Genesis Model 2 VA 1.8 (Samsung KA2195D), Made in Thailand, and connected to a 32X.

Originally I connected to my TV via Composite on a switch box (RCA VH920). However, my TV allows either composite or s-video exclusively, forcing me to disconnect the S-Video cable behind the TV each time I wish to use a system hooked up via composite.
    Therefore, I got an RCA CRF940, which converts composite to s-video. Before anyone states this fact, yes, it is stupid to do this, but I'm not actively looking for a TV that handles this better.

Purpose of my post
    I am actively seeking pictures of a US Model 2 VA 2.3 with CXA1645 encoder to compare with mine, preferably using Sonic 3, since that is what I use here. I'd also like to see a shot of the black Sega logo screen like that on Sonic 2 to look for wide color bands. These are not present or not very visible with my setup.

Enough exposition:

Below you will see my results. Links to full size images above the large thumbnails.

Immediately when using S-Video, I noticed distinct alternating, thin dark and light vertical lines (not wide bands like the Sonic waterfall pics). These are easy to see in areas of one flat color such as the background of the stage icon for the character select screen in Sonic 3 or in the red and yellow borders that surround the save slot.
    Composite from 32X to switcher, switcher converts and outputs s-video to TV

Under close inspection, I see the lines in my original (without switcher) composite picture, although the roughness of that signal blends pixels until they appear smooth.
    Composite from 32X connected directly to TV

I believe this is normal, correct? Also I believe the switcher must sharpen the signal and that is why I see those lines when using s-video. I tried lowering sharpness and upping my contrast, but this only hides some of the thin bands in the lighter colors while producing an overall more nasty picture.
    Quick adjustments to Contrast and Sharpness for s-video.
    Composite from 32X to switcher, switcher converts and outputs s-video to TV

Link to album with all pics: http://imgur.com/a/9qWBL

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

@y9784

I own a VA2.3 with the CXA1645 encoder. It's modded for S-video, and has a mega amp audio circuit (but the latter doesn't affect the picture.)
    I have sonic 3, and I can take more photos for you later with either composite, s-video, or both. I also have a 32x, if you want test photos from it.
    My TV is a ~34 inch trinitron CRT.

I have a bunch of other games too, if you want samples.

Here is the SEGA screen from sonic 3 (s-video). That thick line in the middle of the screen isn't normally visible. It's just an artifact of taking a photo of a CRT.
    It's also a tad dark because my camera slightly underexposed it.
    Last edited by ComradeOj; 11-10-2014 at 03:46 AM.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    @y9784

I own a VA2.3 with the CXA1645 encoder. It's modded for S-video, and has a mega amp audio circuit (but the latter doesn't affect the picture.)
    I have sonic 3, and I can take more photos for you later with either composite, s-video, or both. I also have a 32x, if you want test photos from it.
    My TV is a ~34 inch trinitron CRT.

I have a bunch of other games too, if you want samples.
    Ahh..brilliant. I really appreciate this.

Could you take pictures with the 32X outputting its native composite? The 32X is a permanent fixture atop my Genesis and I have no plans on modding video for now. I do want the mega amp mod if I get the M2 VA 2.3.

The horizontal scanlines are from your TV, right? Could you also take a pic of the Sega screen from Sonic 2 or any other game with a black Sega logo screen? I'm hunting for those rainbow colored bands visible in some Genesis models

I'd like a picture of the Sonic 3 title and save select screens so I could compare and look for any of the abnormalities when you are using the native composite video out circuit.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

@y9784

I took some test images for you. They are labeled so you can tell what is 32x composite, and what is cxa1645 s video. I also included the new junk city music, because I saw you ask for it in the mega-amp thread.

Sorry for the wait, my camera needed it's batteries to be charged. I wasn't 100% on what kind of images you wanted, so tell me if there are others you need for your comparison. And yes, the horizontal scanlines are just from my CRT tv.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u...ew?usp=sharing
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    @y9784

I took some test images for you. They are labeled so you can tell what is 32x composite, and what is cxa1645 s video. I also included the new junk city music, because I saw you ask for it in the mega-amp thread.[/url]
    Wow! You are awesome! I wasn't expecting anyone to be so accommodating so fast--all in one package with a ribbon atop. This is very praiseworthy.

So the thin alternating bars are still there on the CXA-1645 but are blended because of the composite encoding. The colors are more vibrant. I am not sure which is more responsible for the cleaner edges--CXA1645 or the fact that you are using a CRT (or both). The s-video mod definitely sharpens those lines and it is a shame that it ruins the dithered sprites like that of the box surrounding the save slot of Sonic 3.

The 32X definitely does a better job cleaning those faint wider bands (as I can see in the Sonic 3 SEGA logo screen with a white background), but they are definitely still there to a lesser extent than other models which users have posted Sample pics.

In addition, the s-video mod sharpens the edge of each pixel border, really brightening scenes. This is demonstrated dramatically in your Sonic waterfall pics. It is actually jarring for someone who has never seen it and makes me question what the game is actually "meant" to look like. I guess it is whatever someone is happy with playing.

Unless the circuit changed dramatically in the model 2 VA 4, this is the best you can get with the CXA-1645.

On another note
    I decided to also include pics of the cartridge slot to my Model 1 VA 1.8 (with Samsung KA2195D) since all the pics in the first posts are gold frogs (Imageshack is no longer free. Use imgur and select upload pictures in high quality to preserve size, quality, etc.). People can use these to help "quickly" identify consoles in the wild.

Model 2 VA 1.8 cartridge slot

Death Adder's minion

Hi everybody!

This is my Japanese Mega Drive 1 VA0 (1988 year!): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lskzidsoi...9mK2j5TIa?dl=0

There are a lot of photos. Ace, add them to your database
    Last edited by omonim2007; 11-13-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    As of late, I've been so damn busy, I had no time to do much. Things should calm down in the coming week, so I should be able to get some pictures taken then.
    Looking forward to when you have the photos re-uploaded. Thanks for your work.
    He glanced over at the head on a stake 'A Hunnic trophy, I think the man was a Visigoth He died at the Battle of the Catalaunian Fields I keep it here so that I may see it every day and remember' 'Remember what, Father?' I asked him

The scent of a burning village The sound of butchery The way peasants would flee before the Hun riders The way we would ride them down The way it felt to conquer alongside Attila and the Huns

He leaned so close I could feel his breath 'Sometimes... I miss it'

Co-Creator of the MegaAmp Raging in the Streets villahed94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omonim2007 View Post
    Hi everybody!

This is my Japanese Mega Drive 1 VA0 (1988 year!): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ydz0tijqf...4xLq7vPka?dl=0

There are a lot of photos. Ace, add them to your database
    That's a great looking VA0 you got there! What's its serial number?

Mega Amp: The reference audio circuit for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by villahed94 View Post
    That's a great looking VA0 you got there! What's its serial number?
    I'll post it's serial number later.

And now more photos of my two other consoles: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lskzidsoi...9mK2j5TIa?dl=0

Systems:

1. Sega Mega Drive 1 PAL-G VA6.5

2. Genesis 2 VA3 (CXA1145)

3. Sega Mega Drive 1 NTSC-J VA0
    Last edited by omonim2007; 11-13-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Thread Information