Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no Bust a Move love for the Genesis?

Default Why no Bust a Move love for the Genesis?

The reasons behind a lack of Tetris on the Genesis has been well-chronicled. Does anyone know why Bust a Move never came to the Genny? It's been on practically every system ever made *except* Sega's little black box. IIRC, there is even a version of Bubble Bobble in some regions...

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I think it was on Sega Channel...
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    IIRC, there is even a version of Bubble Bobble in some regions...
    In one region: Taiwan. "Super Bubble Bobble MD" was developed, unlicensed, by a Taiwanese game company. There's no official version of Bubble Bobble for the MD, but Japan did get Rainbow Islands, its sequel.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

there is even a version of Bubble Bobble in some regions...
    Is there? When I read your title, the first thing I thought was "Shit, the Genesis didn't even get a port of Bubble Bobble."

A mystery indeed! The series appears on the following:

Arcade, 3DO, Neo Geo, Game Boy, Game Gear, GBC, iOS, Mobile, N-Gage, Neo Geo CD, NGP, IBM PC, PS2, PSP, SNES, VGPC, WS, Xbox, GBA, NDS, PS1, GCN, Wii, DC, XBLA, 3DS

That is every system commercially available at the time EXCEPT the Sega Genesis. I can only guess that Nintendo may have something to do with this during the height of the SNES vs GEN war. Still, by the time Bust a Move 2 came, the series would appear on the Saturn and Dreamcast.
    Denial - The Commodore Vic 20 Community

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-20 View Post
    A mystery indeed! The series appears on the following:

Arcade, 3DO, Neo Geo, Game Boy, Game Gear, GBC, iOS, Mobile, N-Gage, Neo Geo CD, NGP, IBM PC, PS2, PSP, SNES, VGPC, WS, Xbox, GBA, NDS, PS1, GCN, Wii, DC, XBLA, 3DS

That is every system commercially available at the time EXCEPT the Sega Genesis. I can only guess that Nintendo may have something to do with this during the height of the SNES vs GEN war. Still, by the time Bust a Move 2 came, the series would appear on the Saturn and Dreamcast.
    It wasn't on TG-16/PC Engine either, even though Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars were.

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Nor was it on the Virtual Boy or Game.com, not to mention stuff like the Zodiac... it wasn't on everything, just almost everything.

You guys are listing consoles that were far from commercial successes. Genesis was huge while Game.com was in the bargain bin. Of course, publishers wouldn't risk putting the game on Virtual Boy! But there would have been a lot of financial reasons to bring it to the Genesis.
    Denial - The Commodore Vic 20 Community

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    In one region: Taiwan. "Super Bubble Bobble MD" was developed, unlicensed, by a Taiwanese game company. There's no official version of Bubble Bobble for the MD, but Japan did get Rainbow Islands, its sequel.
    Came here to say this^.

Does anyone know why Bust a Move never came to the Genny?
    Because Bust a Move is a terrible name (yep, even sillier than "Bubble Bobble") which deserves boxart like this:

;P

The Taiwanese version also has Doraemon and Crayon Shin Chan as playable characters. Highly likely an official version would not. Unlicensed game wins.

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Bust a Move was probably viewed as too late. MD popularity in Japan had begun to decline by then.

It would seem they were considering using the name there, for some purpose or another. The SFC title screen mentions Bust a Move.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lumclaw View Post
    Bust a Move was probably viewed as too late. MD popularity in Japan had begun to decline by then.
    You, sir, would be correct. After a quick glance on Wikipedia, the original arcade version came out in 1994, with the international Neo Geo version 6 months later. Now, you figure a home console port would come out around a year after the arcade versions, and that would mean sometime in 1995, where the Mega Drive was discontinued in Japan, and was on life support in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    You, sir, would be correct. After a quick glance on Wikipedia, the original arcade version came out in 1994, with the international Neo Geo version 6 months later. Now, you figure a home console port would come out around a year after the arcade versions, and that would mean sometime in 1995, where the Mega Drive was discontinued in Japan, and was on life support in the US.
    But it was on bloody Game Gear. GAME GEAR.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

True, but the Game Gear wasn't discontinued by Sega until 1997, and Majesco made Game Gears as late as 2001. Bust a Move GG was released in 1995.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

The Mega Drive was on life support in Japan when Bust A Move was released for the NEO GEO MVS.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    True, but the Game Gear wasn't discontinued by Sega until 1997, and Majesco made Game Gears as late as 2001. Bust a Move GG was released in 1995.
    Genesis wasn't discontinued at that time either.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Thread Information