Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DarXide

Exclamation DarXide

When the 32X had finally laid down to die, it managed to breathe its last in Europe, in the form of the technologically impressive DarXide. Forced to change the name of its wonder cart for trademark reasons, Frontier Developments somehow managed to squeeze power out of the defunct mushroom like no other company could. The fruit of the company's labor now goes for a small fortune on auction sites, and the high price definitely begs the question: is it worth the money? For the answer, my friend, you'll have to read our full review!

Spot on about the controls. If I were to describe it, though, I'd say it's more like a 3D version of Maelstrom than Asteroids.

I had some trouble with the controls, but my biggest issue with DarXide is just how monotonous it is. I got bored early on and had to push myself to continue.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

I never had any issues with the controls, only thing is finding out where everything is and those aliens that appear and attack all the time get annoying... still I give it a 7
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

I don't recall the speed problems when playing this on an emulator, perhaps Christian played it with US (60 Hz) settings? I think the game is more similar to Stellar Assault than Star Wars Arcade.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Mega-Dorky Nerd God WCPO Agent nissling's Avatar

I have to agree with this review, it's a terrible game imo. Star Wars Arcade sucks too, but I love Stellar assault for some reason.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The first thing I thought of when reading the review was "is he playing the game in NTSC?"

The other thing is that DarXide isn't "the only game in the 32X's library to have texture mapped polygons". I'm guessing that the reviewer isn't familiar with the 32X library.

Otherwise, the game sounds like what I expected.

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

Descent Freespace anyone?

games like this need to be played with a mouse/keyboard for proper control... or you aint really playin.

these games are impressive for MegaDrive/32x, but they belong on PC for proper gameplay.

This game is somewhat of a milestone for Sega-16, it's the first 32x Import reviewed and it also marks the 30th 32X game review. Cool!!

I haven't played this game yet but have talked to several people on Digital Press and they all liked it, perhaps the reviewer should make sure the game was played in the right settings on the emulator and adjust the review if needed. My opinion doesn't count since I haven't played it but maybe we have to look into this further.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The other thing is that DarXide isn't "the only game in the 32X's library to have texture mapped polygons". I'm guessing that the reviewer isn't familiar with the 32X library.
    I think what he meant was it's the only 32X game with fully 3D texture-mapped polygons. All the other fully 3D games for the 32X use flat-shaded polygons, not texture mapped. Doom and Metal Head are texture-mapped, but not fully 3D.

Yeah, Chilly Willy got it right. Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The game is called Darxide, not DarXide (the box and manual never spell it with an uppercase X). For the same reason Granada isn't called XGranadaX.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

So, is it possible to play beyond the first couple of levels? That time limit is too short!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

You were planning to work on this one, Zebbe, IIRC -- how's it coming?

Former Sega-16 user 3DOMan claimed to have beaten Darxide, and was going to share a strategy guide, but never got around to it. There was a guy on YouTube who claimed the game was practically impossible w/o savestates, so assuming 3DOMan was telling the truth about his victory, I guess that guy was wrong.

Yes, that's why I brought this up.

I have gotten to stage four so far and it's really getting tough. Asteroids and two types of aliens to destroy, crystals and miners to pick up. I think I will change the difficulty setting to easy.

Thread Information