Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Scooby-Doo Mystery

  1. #16
    ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,522
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    Scooby Doo Mystery is such a great game, I even have a CIB copy. The only real flaw with the game is the music/sound effects aren't particularly great and the voice samples needed to be louder, but the large array of graphics made the Genesis feel more like an IBM PC with that luxurious amount of hardware to throw around. The game even somehow handles scaling! It almost doesn't look like just sprites, I think it's done in software.

  2. #17
    Master of Shinobi LinkueiBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,060
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Amazing adventure game!!!
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!


    Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

  3. #18
    Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    As a fan of the show, the game's visuals capture the artstyle of the cartoon show. The puzzle elements are not that easy to figure out and offer a good challenge. If there is one thing that should be said it is that the game would have benefited if it had been released for the SEGA CD. In my opinion, hearing the voices of Shaggy, Scooby, Fred, Daphne, and Vilma would have greatly enhanced the game 10 fold!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

  4. #19
    I'm a orange werewolf!!! Road Rasher Sly Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    If you discovered me, I will rip you apart...
    Age
    29
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I used to spend many hours into this overlooked hidden gem in my childhood years. I first got it in a box full of genesis games for $10 from a yard sale ages ago. It's complete however it's ex-rental. It's more like a poor man's click and point adventure in my own humble opinion, however I was more excited to actually play a click and point adventure on a actual TV and not on the computer as a kid.

    I still do think it's a humble game worth checking out for sega genesis gamers, but not for the super hardcore click and point adventure gamers. This review from six years ago have been claiming it's increasing in value. However the value of this looks almost the same to me for couple years. It's still hard to find in the wild and used to be less than few copies floating around on eBay when I got first mine. Today those cartridge only would go for $15 to $20, but I'm more impressed right now that the complete game goes for about over $40 in value.


    P.S. Mr.Smith, your guts is STILL mine! As a orange werewolf, I should rip out your guts the most painful way that you'll ever imagine! I guarantee this will happen one day! I should eat it like a king.

  5. #20
    Zebbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Täby, Kingdom of Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,146
    Rep Power
    132

    Default

    Been playing this game with my friend. Blake's Hotel mostly went fine. A couple of times, when we loaded a save, BOTH in-game music tracks played at the same time. And when we left the mine with the other track and went back to the hotel, that hotel track played two times simultaneously. Weird as hell. But we managed to beat this part of the game.

    On Ha Ha Carnival, we weren't as lucky. Passwords loaded, but the game hang after that. Meaning the music barely started and the screen stayed black and nothing else happened. Tested on Nomad. Same thing there. When we came to the roller coaster part, we followed the guide and used the brake as quickly as possible (because typing a 50 letter password over and over is tedious, we didn't know what we did wrong). But nothing could make the game progress there. We also tried some passwords on an emulator, but every one refused to load.

    To add insult to injury, none of the 6 (!) copyright screens can be skipped by pressing buttons when you reset the game to type in yet another 50 letter password...

    Anyone experienced this problem? Is it a bad ROM? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

  6. #21
    Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,456
    Rep Power
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Been playing this game with my friend. Blake's Hotel mostly went fine. A couple of times, when we loaded a save, BOTH in-game music tracks played at the same time. And when we left the mine with the other track and went back to the hotel, that hotel track played two times simultaneously. Weird as hell. But we managed to beat this part of the game.

    On Ha Ha Carnival, we weren't as lucky. Passwords loaded, but the game hang after that. Meaning the music barely started and the screen stayed black and nothing else happened. Tested on Nomad. Same thing there. When we came to the roller coaster part, we followed the guide and used the brake as quickly as possible (because typing a 50 letter password over and over is tedious, we didn't know what we did wrong). But nothing could make the game progress there. We also tried some passwords on an emulator, but every one refused to load.

    To add insult to injury, none of the 6 (!) copyright screens can be skipped by pressing buttons when you reset the game to type in yet another 50 letter password...

    Anyone experienced this problem? Is it a bad ROM? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    That's weird! None of those things have ever happened to me!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

  7. #22
    Zebbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Täby, Kingdom of Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,146
    Rep Power
    132

    Default

    Played again yesterday with my friend. We started over and beat it in one sitting. It seems like the game has a glitchy password system, which may be related to why it locked up at the rollercoaster. I noticed in Blake's Hotel some items you picked up weren't included in the passwords, so you'd have to pick them up again (for example the scent spruce). In the case of Ha Ha Hotel, it was more fatal. But since the game isn't too long, it wasn't that annoying to replay it. We were more annoyed by the shitty password system and that glitch. Except for these things, the game is pretty good.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

  8. #23
    Master of Shinobi GelmiR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,037
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Love this game. I never really bothered with the passwords, weren't they insanely long? The only problem I ever had was on Blake's hotel:
    Shaggy was jumping on the springs to get the light bulb and for some reason, I paused the game during jumping. Don't ever do that - the game wil freeze.

  9. #24
    Zebbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Täby, Kingdom of Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    9,146
    Rep Power
    132

    Default

    Yeah, 50 characters long.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

  10. #25
    The Gentleman Thief Baloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,719
    Rep Power
    98

    Default

    Been trying to track down this game after another forum user on here mentioned it, but haven't been able to find a copy for a reasonable price. Seems like others realize it is adventure game goodness on the Genesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!



    Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

  11. #26
    The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,130
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Yeah, unfortunately it's on the rare side. I thought I had a second copy, but after checking, it looks like I no longer do. I think I may have traded it a while back.

    Don't be fooled by the SNES game. It's much more common, but it's actually a completely different game in spite of having the same name and label. The SNES game is an action-platformer, not the point and click adventure game. The same can be said of Beavis and Butt-Head as well. It's weird that they did that, but I'm glad the Genesis got the long end of the stick on those games, because I played through them both as a kid and really enjoyed them, but likely would have been bored with their counterparts had I been a SNES kid.

  12. #27
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,458
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Been trying to track down this game after another forum user on here mentioned it, but haven't been able to find a copy for a reasonable price. Seems like others realize it is adventure game goodness on the Genesis.
    I do love this game, but I wouldn't want to exaggerate the idea, because it's not at all action-oriented, so it's not an exciting game. It could be called a sleepy game.

    However, that's the only real weak point, that it may be considered a sleepy experience.

    But if you can dig a relaxing game experience, then yep, it's great.

    Characters are accurate to the original show (1969-1970), including the opening sequence from the cartoon with the bats flying. Settings are even better than the show. Characters zoom bigger and smaller as you move up or down on the floor. Dialogue is genuinely funny, as per the show.

    I never actually beat either of the two choices for gameplay, and I don't want to look it up either, because I enjoy the limbo of being stuck and wandering around, when I occasionally revisit.

    I think for big fans of the original show, which I am, then this is a great game, just for being so accurate. The two songs are decent and sound like they're from the cartoon, too.

    I also just love the fact that... the premise of solving the two mysteries, is EXACTLY what the characters belong doing: Wandering around, gathering clues. This makes 100% more sense than a standard mascot platformer, which the SNES got, and which was the standard gameplay style of the 90's.

    The game is calm and relaxing because that's really how it is, to look around and gather clues.

    (Also I'm not sure how long it actually is, so if you don't just get stuck in limbo, like me, then I can't vouch for how big the actual game really is. I can imagine that if you just look up everything, then it might be something that could be rushed through quickly, maybe...)
    Last edited by Ecco; 09-28-2021 at 02:23 AM.

  13. #28
    Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    I think you mean "relaxing," otherwise you make it sound like "boring" when you say "sleepy."

    Never been my genre, but I have to admit, there isn't a more perfect marriage of game genre to non-game IP. If these kinds of games sold more these days, I'd recommend the genre for a good 90% of TV/Movie license tie-ins, I just wouldn't play any of them myself .

  14. #29
    The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,130
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    I think you mean "relaxing," otherwise you make it sound like "boring" when you say "sleepy."
    Fair point. The game certainly never bored me. Frustrated me at times, however. Haha
    And while most of the game is searching for clues and puzzle solving, there are certainly a lot of entertaining moments that happen throughout. When you solve or screw up a puzzle, hijinx often ensue. And at times, bad guys or something comes out forcing Shaggy and Scooby to run.

    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Never been my genre, but I have to admit, there isn't a more perfect marriage of game genre to non-game IP. If these kinds of games sold more these days, I'd recommend the genre for a good 90% of TV/Movie license tie-ins, I just wouldn't play any of them myself .
    You know what IP would've made an amazing point and click mystery adventure game? Twin Peaks.

  15. #30
    Bring on the noise! WCPO Agent Bones Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    957
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Never been my genre, but I have to admit, there isn't a more perfect marriage of game genre to non-game IP. If these kinds of games sold more these days, I'd recommend the genre for a good 90% of TV/Movie license tie-ins, I just wouldn't play any of them myself .
    Yeah, I don't care for this genre, either, but I did enjoy playing this game as a fan of the show. I wish there had been some action parts like the chase or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    You know what IP would've made an amazing point and click mystery adventure game? Twin Peaks.
    I would play that. I wonder if this game could be hacked into Twin Peaks or something.
    Slayer-1: "Minus 210 degrees...minus 215...minus 220. Why are you still standing?"

    Bones: "My will...will not die."

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-iQfP3mFs

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •