Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEGO Classic Space (1980s) Does anyone remember this specific LEGO piece ?

Default LEGO Classic Space (1980s) Does anyone remember this specific LEGO piece ?

I was really bored...While thinking about the 20th anniversary of the Sega Genesis launching in 1989, my mind drifted back further, to the EARLY 80s, and for whatever reason I started thinking of LEGO.

So just for the heck of it I decided to post a random piece from a LEGO Classic Space set of the early 80s.

LEGO fans, remember it?

AFAIK, it appeared in only one LEGO set, I happen to own the piece and the set. For the heck of it I dug around in my box of LEGOs to see if I could find mine, and did :P

See if you can guess what it's from, scroll down, the answer is below..

Okay!

It's from set # 6970
    "Beta-1 Command Base"
    year: 1980

If you didn't recognize the piece, do you now recognize the SET ?

The Beta-1 Command Base was one of my favorites, and my first "base" set.

Just for old-times sake: the back of the box, and the inside cover,
    where LEGO showed ideas for other alternative things you could build from each set

There was a very similar piece from another earlier LEGO set which I do not own:

It's from set # 493
    "Space Command Center"
    year: 1978

BTW, I guess this can be the start of a whole new thread about LEGOs ^__^

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Classic Lego kicked ass!
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Quote Originally Posted by David J. View Post
    Classic Lego kicked ass!
    Agreed, all the new sets are full of "special pieces" that only fit with the set it came with.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I was more partial to "City" stuff myself.

After visiting a Lego place in Chicago (with a Lego replica of Lake Shore Drive) I decided I needed to get my Lego fix.

I got these

Wheel Loader

And this

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

Ooh, you've opened up a can of worms here. Lego is one of those old hobbies that I need to pick up again one day. We had an entire attic filled with Lego bricks, and now all of that is stuffed into two large travel bags (plus some loose stuff here and there). It got used ridiculously often by me, up until about 15 years ago. Basically, Lego was my favorite pastime before video games came along.

These photos are from a few years back, when I already revisited my Lego collection. I managed to gather a couple of my old construction manuals, and together with some helpful internet sites, I got together a long list of bricks and parts that I needed to put these sets back together again.

Note that those black-and-yellow manuals on the top-left are from even older sets. I got those from an older cousin once, and I don't believe I've ever seen them fully constructed.

Anyways, I managed to find enough loose parts to put a couple of those sets back together again, some of which you can see here:

That last set is a really cool Transformers-kind of thing. You can rotate a wheel at the back, and then it folds down into a sort of truck. It even has a steering knob on top.

At some point I intend to go back to this project and complete even more of those sets. I also want to deconstruct that Formula 1 car and rebuild it back into its primary form - the ultra cool Super Car. There are a couple of parts that I'm pretty sure are gone, lost somewhere throughout the years during house moves and such. I need to make an inventory of those too and then buy them loose. The internet provides a lot of help in that respect too.

Oh yeah, one more small bonus: I was also really into moving bridges when I was little, so one of my hobbies was building drawbridges and bascule bridges out of Lego, along with the boats, roads and villages that surround them. I found one ancient photo of such a project:

You had road base plates, I always wanted some of those!

I had a pretty good collection of Lego's when I was younger (sold them off when I was a teenager...damn big mistake) but I always managed to make my own toys with them. And I can say this, when I built things with Lego's, they were built strong.

When I was younger I would just throw bricks of any color together to build what I wanted (like a house) but later on I better at using bricks of the same color along with some basic designs.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
    It's from set # 6970
    "Beta-1 Command Base"
    year: 1980

This is just awesome. I remember the late 70s Mickey Mouse magazines I got from a cousin that had lots of full page advertisements on Lego Space and Lego Knights.

At that time (mid to late 80s I think) I was more into Lego Knights and Lego Pirates, but between '87 to '90, with the introduction of Blacktron and Futuron, my preferences switched to Lego Space and I've started collecting each and every single set up to 1993 with the introduction of Space Police II and Ice Planet.

I got my Mega Drive in 1992 so my Lego budget took a serious hit and never really recovered. I remember focussing on completing and expanding my Futuron collection.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

My buddy at work just gave a chest full of his old Legos. Some of them are so old that they have a different Lego font on them.

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

I built this last year, but it didn't quite capture the magic of my youth. I was really into Lego Pirates and the Lego Space stuff of the mid-90s. I still think it was the most aesthetically beautiful stuff.

The largest project of my youth was the complete Jurassic Park Lego set. It had the giant doors, cars and even dinosaurs that were mostly cardstock held together by the occasional Lego brick. Too bad I can't find a picture of the set!
    S A V E R U S T Y

In the early to mid 1980s, all my money went toward LEGO, the larger sets
    like 'Galaxy Explorer', 'Beta 1 Command Base', 'Starfleet Voyager' and
    'Intergalactic Command Base'...the successor to the earlier LEGO bases

....These took up every penny I got, which was limited since I was a kid. I was not into Atari or NES at the time. Once the videogame bug bit me in 1987, playing on a friend's VCS/2600, I started saving for "my own Atari" which I got in 1988 (the 7800). I continued to use LEGO but didn't buy any of the large expensive sets, only the small cheap ones. Then by the time I was aware of the NES & SMS in 1988, I started saving as much as could again, eventually getting the SMS in early 1989. I still used LEGO for awhile, but when the Genesis was previewed by EGM in mid 1989 I forgot about LEGO for years!

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

OMG I love LEGO! I had a medium sized collection when I was a wee one, and my friends who had all the good toys had all the sets. When we turned "too old" to be playing with LEGO, we made a four foot tall tower with matching color top and antenna and fllled it up with all the extra pieces.

If I have kids, hopefully they will be good on LEGO for a while.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

i'm pretty much a lego maniac you can see my stuff on the bohoki.deviantart.com

make sure and visit my album

I think I'm gonna have to get the Lego Chicago pics from my GF.

We also got our pic taken with LegObama (they had a 5ft+ tall Obama made from Legos).

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bohokii View Post
    i'm pretty much a lego maniac you can see my stuff on the bohoki.deviantart.com
    Wow! Lego MC Escher. That is awesome!

Second Base = Best Base Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

I always spent more time drooling over the catalogs than I ever did actually building my lego sets.

I got the Skulls Eye Schooner for christmas and I thought the pirate cove in the catalog was the coolest shit.

Thread Information