Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA Hangtime

Default NBA Hangtime

Time to put on the shoes and BOOM SHAKA-LAKA your way to victory on the court! Wait, this isn't NBA Jam? Ah, well NBA Hangtime is so close to the Midway classic that you'd be hard pressed to know the difference. The developers (not the same as Jam's) tried to make their game stand out a bit from such a long shadow, but the effort was mostly hit-and-miss. Read our full review and see if this one is worth playing or if the lights in the gym should be shut off permanently.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-11-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Heh, with the graphics in this game, the lights already look off!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar

I loved the rap song "Watcha gonna do" that was in the n64 and arcade versions....was it in the genny one?

[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
    I loved the rap song "Watcha gonna do" that was in the n64 and arcade versions....was it in the genny one?
    No it is not.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

I've had this game for the SNES since it came out, and all I can say is "meh". It's just a complete ripoff of Jam. Judging from the screenshots in the review, the SNES version does look quite a bit better. The players and crowd are digitized in that one. The commentator is limited with a arsenal of, like 5 sayings maybe. The in game music is really repetitive and annoying. The menu music is just okay. The create a player option sucks. A lot of the heads are somewhat disturbing. There's a clown with sharp teeth, a goat head, and a chicken/lizard wearing a wig to name a few. It's basically NBA Jam, but everything's worse. This is the SNES version I'm talking about, though, so the Genesis version might do some things better or worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    I've had this game for the SNES since it came out, and all I can say is "meh". It's just a complete ripoff of Jam. Judging from the screenshots in the review, the SNES version does look quite a bit better. The players and crowd are digitized in that one. The commentator is limited with a arsenal of, like 5 sayings maybe. The in game music is really repetitive and annoying. The menu music is just okay. The create a player option sucks. A lot of the heads are somewhat disturbing. There's a clown with sharp teeth, a goat head, and a chicken/lizard wearing a wig to name a few. It's basically NBA Jam, but everything's worse. This is the SNES version I'm talking about, though, so the Genesis version might do some things better or worse.
    I've noticed the menu screen is a bit different in the SNES and Genesis versions. For some reason I could never find how to get 2 players on the same team for the SNES version. Is a 4-controller plug-in required to do so?

Road Rasher

as I said before on the main site, a great game poorly reviewed, this game is at least a 9

Sports Talker

I have to agree with the above poster here. A "6" for this game is just... wrong. Itīs graphically way better than the previous "jam" games, except the background. wow, the background. we got much smoother animated and more detailed player sprites now - who cares about the background? the action happens on the playfield, not in the background.

gameplay is also good, and if you donīt like the custom player thing, donīt use it.

Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan89 View Post
    as I said before on the main site, a great game poorly reviewed, this game is at least a 9
    Thats being a little too lenient......The review was pretty good...but no way I would give it a 9

[/url]

Lol, poorly reviewed for giving it a mediocre score.

Hey, I think this game is far inferior to the Jam games and Showtime. Announcer sucks, music is awful, graphics look shitty especially for the time, and create-a-character breaks the gameplay.

I luved this game and I also own TE for the Saturn and 32X but I played this game way more than any of those versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Wildside Expert

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    I've had this game for the SNES since it came out, and all I can say is "meh". It's just a complete ripoff of Jam. Judging from the screenshots in the review, the SNES version does look quite a bit better. The players and crowd are digitized in that one... <snip>
    Well, considering the SNES can render 256 colors on screen at one time, a static background that is digitized would look better on SNES than on Genesis [unless special dithering techniques are used]. Why the developers chose to not use a digitized background is beyond me, because the differences in digitized background quality would be very small. However, who cares really, as long as the 2 games play nearly the same on both consoles. It really urk's the hell out of me when people do non-sense comparisons like this. No offense to the poster or any one else.

Nameless One

This game was one of my favourite dos games back then, I played the hell out of it with a big headed wolf character. I think the genesis version plays pretty well in comparison and I find the genesis version much better than the snes one. The snes version doesn't play as smooth and on the graphics side the court size was smaller and the faces of the players weren't as recognisable on the snes.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
    Thats being a little too lenient......The review was pretty good...but no way I would give it a 9

that's not too lenient, because I loved this game when it first came out and I love it now even though I don't play it much

Quote Originally Posted by Chaniyth View Post
    Well, considering the SNES can render 256 colors on screen at one time, a static background that is digitized would look better on SNES than on Genesis [unless special dithering techniques are used]. Why the developers chose to not use a digitized background is beyond me, because the differences in digitized background quality would be very small. However, who cares really, as long as the 2 games play nearly the same on both consoles. It really urk's the hell out of me when people do non-sense comparisons like this. No offense to the poster or any one else.
    Are you serious? The whole point of Side By Sides are to compare them to their counterpart on another system. How you can call a game looking better on SNES nonsensical is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Thread Information