Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Samurai

Megadrive Second Samurai

Region-specific games are the bane of fans of all consoles. No matter how many great games come to one's specific region, there is always a ton more that got left somewhere else. The Genesis is no exception, and there are more awesome titles left in Europe and Japan than you can shake a Menacer at. Second Samurai is one such title, and we wouldn't be surprised if you're right now wondering what the heck game it was that we just mentioned. See? That's what happens when games stay in just one region! Lucky for you, we have a full review of this neat action release, so read on and then start thinking about importing.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Wow, this game looks pretty good! Is it region-locked?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

*Adds game to wanted import list*

P.S.> It's appears to be surprisingly cheap on eBay.

Love that cover, too bad I'm pretty poor now. Maybe some other time though I can pick it up.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Its a very much different game to the original Amiga Second Samurai - which is so much better and has much more interesting gameplay and level designs.

Master of Shinobi

I agree with this review, 7 is exactly what I'd give it too, it's over the top mindless fun, but can take a little bit of time to get used to.

As Playgen said this is not a port of the Amiga game, it's an exclusive release for Mega Drive and just shares the same name (like Sparkster does) The Amiga game was a puzzle platformer whilst this is a beat-em-up

Quote Originally Posted by playgen View Post
    Its a very much different game to the original Amiga Second Samurai - which is so much better and has much more interesting gameplay and level designs.
    I agree that the Second Samurai is better on the Amiga, but a 7 is exactly what i'd give this game, whilst a 9 would probably be what i'd give the Amiga version.

The way I see it is - who wants multiple ports of the same game anyway?!? due to the changes to the design of the Mega Drive version the First Samurai series got three iterations instead of two, which in my eyes is a damn good thing

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Good review, can't believe Ive never heard of this one.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Wow, this game looks pretty good! Is it region-locked?
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpos...7&postcount=55

How come it's always "Oh, blablabla, the Genesis got left out for this great gem that was released only in Europe and Japan, how could they do that to the loyal Genesis fans?" when a title is not released in NA, but only "OK, here is game X" when a NA exclusive game is reviewed?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    How come it's always "Oh, blablabla, the Genesis got left out for this great gem that was released only in Europe and Japan, how could they do that to the loyal Genesis fans?" when a title is not released in NA, but only "OK, here is game X" when a NA exclusive game is reviewed?
    Because the NA market by far was the largest for the Genesis, hands down. We got almost all of the 32x exclusives and held support for the 32x the longest, We sold the most Genesis units regionally, we got all of the celebrity support, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jesus.arnold View Post
    As Playgen said this is not a port of the Amiga game, it's an exclusive release for Mega Drive and just shares the same name (like Sparkster does) The Amiga game was a puzzle platformer whilst this is a beat-em-up
    I am aware of that. I still decided to call it a port and, instead of pronouncing it to be an original game, went with the term "complete overhaul" instead, since a) still some similarities to it, b) they got the same amount of levels, and c) even use the same passwords. Also I wanted to point out the games roots, which are clearly in the Amiga games.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    I am aware of that. I still decided to call it a port and, instead of pronouncing it to be an original game, went with the term "complete overhaul" instead, since a) still some similarities to it, b) they got the same amount of levels, and c) even use the same passwords. Also I wanted to point out the games roots, which are clearly in the Amiga games.
    Second Samurai (Amiga) is more similar to First Samurai in gameplay, aethetics, and level design than Second Samurai (MD), would you refer to Second Samurai (Amiga) as a "renamed port of First Samurai"? or a sequel? seeing as it has completely original level design.

At the end of the day, if it hadn't been called "Second Samurai" the Mega Drive sequel would probably never have even been associated with the other games in the series, it's that different. They could've named it "Samurai Revenge" or something and nobody would've had any idea the game was related to First Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Because the NA market by far was the largest for the Genesis, hands down. We got almost all of the 32x exclusives and held support for the 32x the longest, We sold the most Genesis units regionally, we got all of the celebrity support, etc. etc.
    I didn't know 7 out of 10 exclusives for the most total failure of the Mega Drive was such a big deal to care about. And you kinda contradict yourself when you say the support was for it was longest in NA, when you said this in the Darxide review:

It also bears the distinction of being the last 32X title released worldwide.
    But OK, I see what you're getting at.

I didn't mean it was discontinued last, what I meant was that we had 32x support the longest. From Fall 1994, to Early 1996. EU only had it from 1995 to 1996.

Maybe that was because the 32X was made for the American market (The Genesis started to lose to the SNES while the Mega Drive always sold more than the SNES in Europe) and because it was released earlier in NA (two months). But why would 32X support matter in any of this? It had about 39 games and was a total failure.

Thread Information