Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preview: Road Avenger Novel

Genesis Preview: Road Avenger Novel

Received an email today about this, thought I'd pass it along for those interested:

"Herr Belmont,

We are Kuneo Koei, contacting you in regards to “The Road Avenger” Novel. We perused your website for several days to identify a method (or policy) for submitting news to WAG, but did not find any. We did not want to intrude on your community’s members so we would like to present you with the information directly.

(We hope that you find this information useful and would be honored to serve your community):

MMP Publishing has released a preview of “The Road Avenger”, a novel based upon the 1985 Data East laserdisc classic “Road Blaster”. (Please follow the article linked below):

Reuters:
    (http://www.reuters.com/article/press...009+MW20090826)

Official Website:
    (http://www.theroadavenger.com)

Thanks for all of your time, acknowledgement, and consideration. (Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments you may have).

Respectfully and Sincerely,

- Kuneo Koei"

Apparently it comes with a soundtrack to listen to while reading. Wild!

Bel

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

That's quite interesting.. I like the soundtrack idea for reading.. I would have read alot more books if they all had a soundtrack!

We interviewed the author about this last February, and we should have a preview of the novel in the next week or so. I got the draft for it about a month ago, and we will be doing a hands-on when it's released as well.

I got the soundtrack with it, as well as an awesome Data East t-shirt!

Ah, ok, sounds good. Sorry about that, then, I wasn't real sure how many people would have known if she was sending me emails about spreading the word. ;)

Bel

The Rhythm Rogue Outrunner cj iwakura's Avatar

This is probably the least likely novel adaptation in history.

Can't wait.

Accessing COMP・・Demon Summoning Program Active・・Login Timeout. Access terminated.

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life.
    For me, it was Tuesday." | The Temple of Raul Julia's Witness

It definitely ought to be interesting. I wonder how they managed to even acquire the rights to do it? Data East was dead, I thought? Breaks my heart too...I loved DE games...

Bel

They got the rights from G-Mode, which owns all of Data East's properties. a DE arcade compilation has also been announced for the Wii.

Ah, I see. Well, at least the properties are still available.

Open question to anyone out there: A long while back, a buddy of mine was trying to find a high quality version of the Road Avenger theme. The Sega CD version has a noticeably low bitrate and about the only thing I could think of was possibly trying the LaserDisc game via MAME. Does anyone know where one could find a quality version of the theme? Is there any word on whether this book's soundtrack will contain it?

On the Wii compilation: Though the girlfriend has one, we rarely play it(will probably trade it in for Natal once it hits). I do have an HTPC(Home Theater PC) hooked up to my HDTV and I rock MAME on there all the time.

What I find interesting, and I know I'm going a bit off topic here, is that though I have pined over the arcade versions of a lot of these games for years and years(just got in to MAME a few years back, up until then if I wanted to play an arcade game I had to find an actual arcade), now that I sit down and play them...I find I actually prefer the console versions...

Bel

PS: Not sure if MAME talk is allowed here in the forum, and if it isn't please accept my apologies and do no hesitate to delete the post. :)

Banned by Administrators

edit:

whoops, it is Cobra Command that has been announced for iphone.
    Last edited by Zz Badnusty; 09-21-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Christ, I wonder how big it'll be. I guess, depending on which version they use(Sega CD or Laserdisc)...dropped down to iPhone res, maybe 300 megs?

Bel

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Actually, the iPhone has a higher resolution than the Sega CD, literally twice vertically (320*480 iirc).

Though if they ripped the Laserdisc edition, they would have to scale it.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what resolution has to do with it as with either version they'll, most likely, just crop it to achieve a widescreen picture for the iPhone's screen.

What I meant by "using either the Sega CD or Laserdisc version" was that they would both yield a very different amount(having to do with the 64 on screen colors the SCD version contains, and the full pallet the Laserdisc can do). :)

Bel

Galaga Preview: Road Avenger Novel

Renovation supported the Sega CD with several ports of laser disc FMV titles, most famously among them being Road Avenger (Road Blaster in the arcade). With its wonderfully cheesy theme song and continuous action, it's become something of a favorite for many Sega CD owners (this editor included!). Many hoped to see the franchise return, but no one thought it would ever come in the form of a novel. As we reported way back in January, that's exactly what's happening. Penned by author Mary Margaret Park and given the full blessing of G-Mode (the holder of most of the defunct Data East's franchises), the Road Avenger novel is slated to burn rubber into bookstores sometime next year. We managed to avoid SCUM patrols long enough to get our hands on a preview of the book, and our impressions are now available for all to see. Read the full article and get ready for some driving action!
    Last edited by Melf; 09-09-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Though probably not news here, they've sent me another email:

"Herr Belmont,

We hope this letter finds you well – An opening-excerpt review of “The Road Avenger” novel has been published. We do not yet have specific details regarding the availability of public-demo 2 (but will get you this information as soon as it’s reported). A write-up via MSNBC is available at the link below. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Article link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33524622

Stay safe and thanks again for your support. (Whisker’s next to the Jack-O-Lantern seems like a cross between a confident James Bond villain and a David Lynch screen-capture).

--------------------
    - Kuneo Koei"

The picture of Whiskers he's talking about is my Halloween pic for my site, and can be visited via my signature...

Bel

*gently points towards the feature from the day before yesterday on this very website, still visible on the starting page*

Thanks for mentioning it, but we already know
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Thread Information