Quantcast

Thread: Will Harvey's Zany Golf

Meh Will Harvey's Zany Golf

Many gamers grew up with the local mini golf center, or "putt putt." Ah, spending a Saturday night playing a few rounds, wasting quarters on Ms. Pac-Man and other classic coin-ops, and finishing it all off with some tasty nachos. Not a bad way for a young teen to spend an evening, but what did you do when it rained or you had no money? Why, you played Zany Golf! Well, at least you did on the computer. The Genesis port didn't fare too well in the transition, and that's a shame, as Will Harvey's classic was a true blast to play when it debuted for the Apple II in 1988. Sluggish control is a constant reminder that this is a game meant to be played with a mouse, and the overall package hasn't aged well at all. Read our full review, and keep saving those quarters for the weekend.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-24-2011 at 10:25 PM.

It's funny that this game just got reviewed, I love golf games and have been trying to find a copy of this rare game to play now but haven't gotten the chance. It's a shame it's got a low score I was actually looking forward to playing it since it looked so unique but that dashed my hopes.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

I remember this game being like the first sub $20 game available. It was like $15 way back when.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Thumbs up

I really enjoy this game. I'm new to it but I can get to the metal computer stage, which gets pretty complicated and obscure.

I think the context is important that this was originally a late-1980's computer game (Apple IIGS). So on a computer from like 1989, Zany Golf would seem like a very fun little game, I think.

At the time, I imagine that computers were probably mostly used for serious stuff like writing letters / papers, or spreadsheets to balance your household budget, etc.

There was certainly no internet as we know it. And I imagine that most computer owners only had a small handful of games. So this is a nice little game, especially in such context, I think.

Edit: Actually here are the 20 games that defined the Apple IIGS apparently. It includes Zany Golf and The Immortal, both of which look really good in context of this list, for example.

Last edited by Ecco; 05-08-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I really enjoy this game. I'm new to it but I can get to the metal computer stage, which gets pretty complicated and obscure.

I think the context is important that this was originally a late-1980's computer game (Apple IIGS). So on a computer from like 1989, Zany Golf would seem like a very fun little game, I think.

At the time, I imagine that computers were probably mostly used for serious stuff like writing letters / papers, or spreadsheets to balance your household budget, etc.

There was certainly no internet as we know it. And I imagine that most computer owners only had a small handful of games. So this is a nice little game, especially in such context, I think.
    The Genesis and Apple IIGS softographies have some overlap: The Immortal, Zany Golf, Dark Castle, Test Drive II The Duel, Carmen Sandiego... There's quite a legacy you can explore going back with the Genesis. Being the IIGS part of a 16bit trio of wonders with the Amiga and the ST, porting these software on console format was deemed a viable strategy for quite a time.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I agree, itís very interesting to me because I didnít actually have a computer in the 80ís-90ís, so I really appreciate Genesis ports of such games. It really served a purpose to bring computer games to people without a computer.

Mainly I was just saying though that I think Zany Golf (and The Immortal, etc.) are great games in their proper context... i.e. imagine them on a desktop from 1989 or 1990, when a computer cost the price of a used car, and it was used mainly for writing and spreadsheets... In that context, these games are awesome lol.

I also think such games were made to be left running for their atmosphere and music. The Immortal soundtrack is relaxing and songs are way bigger than the gameplay situations need, so that means itís meant to linger and let the music play. Zany Golf has at least a couple songs worth looping, like that pinball stage music is lovely imo.

Anyway Zany Golf and The Immortal etc. get maybe half their reviews as negative but I think thatís just judging it out of context...

Compared to making spreadsheets, these games are great lol. Even just as a distraction in someoneís home office...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker eukara's Avatar

I am fascinated with a lot of the computer ports to the Mega Drive.
    It's really cool to own some of my childhood favorites from the DOS days on a cartridge (having not had a MD), albeit with some tradeoffs.
    I enjoy playing Worms on there with my little brother. I's just nice to play a cartridge version of a game on a system you enjoy. Simple things in life I guess

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

Undoubtedly the second hidden life of the Genesis lies in how many good ports it had from its 16bit home computer cousins. A few times the gain is so spectacular that even a mainstream site geared around Sega fans understand the added value to their system... Case in point Starflight o Pirates Gold. Everyone in their sense knows their Genesis would be worth half of its value without these masterpieces.

More often the games remain an acquired taste, and a lot of difference of course is in how good the porting has been. And that's where you find that ports to the Genesis are 9 times out of ten more accomplished than ports to the Snes or other systems.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I did a review of this for my youtube channel awhile back. The Genesis version is...rough. The game comes across as you would expect, but the frame rate is amazingly low. I feel like it was hurt by being such an early release, if it came out later, they probably could have optimized the graphics engine a bit.

Thread Information