Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Perts

WTF X-Perts

After Sega scored a hit with Eternal Champions, it began to look for more ways to keep the characters in the public eye. Spin offs were quickly greenlighted for both the Game Gear and the Genesis, and anxious fans got X-Perts. Not exactly the game they were waiting for, and its development was almost canceled several times. In the end, Sega released a product almost no one was happy with, and it was a black eye to the face of an otherwise popular franchise. Read our full review for all the sorry details.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-21-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Back when this game was first announced in 1995, it along with "Vectorman" were touted as Sega's "DKC Killers". Apparently it was delayed for quite a bit, and was released well after "Vectorman" was released. It was, apart from "Vectorman 2" and "Sonic 3D Blast", one of the last high-profile Genesis releases in 1996. Sega ran a couple of print ads and even had a Nomad/X-Perts sweepstakes going around the time of its release. Of course, the gaming mags at the time shitted on it, and righfully so. Must've been a real slap in the face to Genesis fans, while SNES fans were getting the likes of "Super Mario RPG", which was released in the same time period as this game.

Where was it that I read that the game's pre-rendered sprites took up so much space and resources that the gameplay suffered as a result? I have to admit, despite the horrendous/stilted animation those sprites are pretty damn detailed for a Genesis game. It also has some really clear voice samples and sfx (as few as they are) that might even surprise the GEMS-naysayers such as Joe.

Go Get-Em! Wildside Expert philiptwood's Avatar

It's my first hearing about this game. How in the world did I miss this one.
    Some call me PTW-ACE.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Every time I hear about these early 3D Pre-renderings it reminds me of how much the characters' faces tended to look like a bad botox side effect. Another thing it reminds me of is how elemental having good controls is to the value of gameplay. I'll take good gameplay over graphics any day of the week.

Also: JANUS? Really? Lol.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

This game should have been canceled along with Lobo.

Funny that we got this crap but Monster World IV and Pulseman were Japan only.

Move Between worlds Raging in the Streets TheEdge's Avatar

Video game confession:

I Edge.......Have rented this game numerous times and played it for hours. I don't know why. It was just addicting turning switches and using monitors and stuff. I don't think I ever got out of the water city base thing but It was an OK game. Graphics were amazing too.
    "A Radical is One Who Speaks the Truth"

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by beef jerky man View Post
    There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

This game was so bad that even its producer wanted to kill it, but Sega had spent so much money on it that it was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    This game was so bad that even its producer wanted to kill it, but Sega had spent so much money on it that it was released.
    Is there even an ending to it? It reminded me of a new age arcade game because you had to run all over the place and the difficulty just kept getting higher and higher.

There's not many people willing to go against the grain, which explains why we're in such a dilapidated state. I personally commend The Edge for being so resilient.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    This game should have been canceled along with Lobo.

Funny that we got this crap but Monster World IV and Pulseman were Japan only.
    Hey rendered graphics were the rage back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    Hey rendered graphics were the rage back then.
    I was amazed by the graphics back in the day. That's probably one reason why I rented it so much.

Europeans and Japanese got Alien Soldier... Americans got this. I wonder why... Hmm... Oh yeah, I forgot pre-rendered graphics automatically makes any game better than one without it!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Europeans and Japanese got Alien Soldier... Americans got this. I wonder why... Hmm... Oh yeah, I forgot pre-rendered graphics automatically makes any game better than one without it!
    I still can't believe they didn't bring over Alien Soldier.........ugh......

It doesn't have pre-rendered graphics, blood, a celebrity licence or other things that make games GREAT and assures Americans will buy it!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Yeah I own this, unfortunately. I would give it a 2.5. Whats the word on that Larcen game for game gear that was mentioned in the review? Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    Yeah I own this, unfortunately. I would give it a 2.5. Whats the word on that Larcen game for game gear that was mentioned in the review? Is it any good?
    In the near future, I shall write a review for that game as well.

Until then, NO ONE SHALL WRITE ABOUT IT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
    Video game confession:

I Edge.......Have rented this game numerous times and played it for hours. I don't know why. It was just addicting turning switches and using monitors and stuff. I don't think I ever got out of the water city base thing but It was an OK game. Graphics were amazing too.
    You never got out because you can't get out. It's the only location in the game. You just go from level to level to level.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information