Quantcast

Thread: Columns III

Default Columns III

By the time Columns III was released in America in 1994, Sega had all but lost interest in the franchise, and farmed out its release to Vic Tokai. This was the second time the series had been snubbed by its creator, as Columns II never saw a console release in the U.S. Perhaps it was a fitting end though, as each game failed to live up to the quality established by the arcade original. Our full review of Columns III has all the sorry details.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-20-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Some day I hope to buy a copy, although a very cheap one. But I'm hoping that will be a long time from now. Something about this title is very off, the same with Columns Crown.

The world will never know.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

you make it sound like Columns III was the last Columns game they had other Columns games like Columns 97' and Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Taisen Columns
    Last edited by redrum666; 01-24-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Last one on the Genesis though.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Columns '97... that was a good game, but I get dizzy playing it after a while, due to those damn spinning jewels.

Hanagumi Taisen Columns was pretty decent too. Kind of hard to get around the menus, but a good title in it's own right.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Quote Originally Posted by redrum666
    you make it sound like Columns III was the last Columns game they had other Columns games like Columns 97' and Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Taisen Columns
    As Melf noted, it's the last on the Genesis, though I suppose that the 6-Pak's re-release of Columns is the last one, notwithstanding any HK bootlegs and whatnot. I do make a brief note of the Saturn Columns Collection, but the review is mainly centered on its release on the Genesis during that timeframe and its worth now compared to other games on the system. I did spend a bit more time than most who outlining what made the original so good due to the pretentious bashing of the Columns review here. I think it's okay though since it is another sequel in the series and the review would need to identify the general Columns gameplay anyway.

My favorite Columns sidenote is Stack Columns. It plays far better as a one-on-one versus game than Columns III, and the cheesy Vegas theme appeals to me for some reason. I'm with David J. on hating Columns '97, too; the jewels just sparkle and glimmer too much to be easy to identify. Columns 2 is pretty pathetic and easily forgotten. The two Hanagumi Columns games are nice enough, but I don't find myself playing them often as I did the original or Stack Columns. I think I just don't care for seeing Sega/Red farm out the Sakura Taisen cast for its puzzle game. Same goes for Mean Bean Machine.

I loved the original columns. I spent so many hours of my life playing that game on the game gear haha. Never played this third one, but it sounds like a mixed bag. From the sound of things, the soundtrack at least sounds pretty cool.

I don't much care for the handling of the "Versus CPU" single-player game, but the Columns mechanics are still enjoyable enough. I suppose I reluctantly agree with the review.

I've always had a harder time with Columns than most puzzle games.. the "right" moves are not nearly as obvious, and it's notoriously difficult to recover once that pile of shame of mishmashed jewels begins accumulating.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Where did that picture of the female angles with the falling jewels come from?

The US got that goofy ass guy on the cover while Japan go something better, but not that.

Was that the UK cover or something?

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

It's actually the MSX cover for the original Columns. It just looked so cool that I wanted to use it (that and the fact that there's ZERO art for the third game out there).

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    I loved the original columns. I spent so many hours of my life playing that game on the game gear haha. Never played this third one, but it sounds like a mixed bag. From the sound of things, the soundtrack at least sounds pretty cool.
    I'm the same just without the Game Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    It's actually the MSX cover for the original Columns. It just looked so cool that I wanted to use it (that and the fact that there's ZERO art for the third game out there).
    Its sexier than the official artwork, but then again I loved the Roman theme it had.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    I could have scanned some of the chickens from the Japanese manual if you wanted. That cover is also on the PC Engine release and possibly the MegaDrive import. I know the Japanese cover has those statues, but I figure it could be the rear cover since a HK bootleg Alex Kidd/Columns game I have uses that same artwork for that game's back cover. It's definitely an odd switch to go from realistic artwork to cartoon chickens for the third game.

PCE

japan MD

the UK cover art for Columns is the same as the US

A pretty good puzzler for the Genesis

Thread Information