Quantcast

Thread: NFL Sports Talk Football '93 Starring Joe Montana

Sweat NFL Sports Talk Football '93 Starring Joe Montana

What better way to compliment Monday Night Football than with a review of a Genesis NFL game? I'll tell you a better way: include a game actually worth playing. The Joe Montana series was notoriously hit and miss, and the '93 installment appears to be one of the bigger misses. Among the problems cited are a clunky interface and poor AI. Hey, that actually doesn't sound too far off from this year's Madden! We kid about that last part, but the Montana part is still true. Read our full review for more details.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-12-2011 at 08:59 AM.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Yup, yup, yup, yup and yup on most of this. Minus the WHOLE WATCHING THE LIONS PART! I WATCHED ALL 16 GAMES, LOL!

I don't think I'd give this game a 2, maybe a 3 or a 4. But, if someone didn't disagree with the number, that means you didn't do something right.

The biggest problem with these games is that all or most of the ST Football games is that they run rather awkwardly and slowly and the feel is wrong. It's a darn shame that they couldn't use the first game and make a great sequel out of that.

And is that Joe Montana Football for the Game Gear any good?
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

I CAN'T BAY-LIEVE IT!

.........Oh wait, wrong robotic commentary sports game.

I think that's in this game. This makes me want to do a double take on Sports Talk Football, or a Genre Spotlight with all of the games with Grandpa doing the announcing.

I always liked the one cut to the Jumbotron with the two losers waving around.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Quote Originally Posted by The Sports Guy View Post
    Yup, yup, yup, yup and yup on most of this. Minus the WHOLE WATCHING THE LIONS PART! I WATCHED ALL 16 GAMES, LOL!

I don't think I'd give this game a 2, maybe a 3 or a 4. But, if someone didn't disagree with the number, that means you didn't do something right.

The biggest problem with these games is that all or most of the ST Football games is that they run rather awkwardly and slowly and the feel is wrong. It's a darn shame that they couldn't use the first game and make a great sequel out of that.

And is that Joe Montana Football for the Game Gear any good?
    Yeah it is, very simplistic but really good Solid gameplay. Beginner is a little bit easy though, I remember getting over 100 in one match due to how many times I intercepted the other QB's passes.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by The Sports Guy View Post
    I think that's in this game. This makes me want to do a double take on Sports Talk Football, or a Genre Spotlight with all of the games with Grandpa doing the announcing.

I always liked the one cut to the Jumbotron with the two losers waving around.
    For your information, Lon Simmons was the announcer for all of the sports talk games. Lon is known for being the announcer for the 49ers and San Francisco Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by chessage View Post
    For your information, Lon Simmons was the announcer for all of the sports talk games. Lon is known for being the announcer for the 49ers and San Francisco Giants.
    Says it right in the review as well, heh.

2.0! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! :P

As you can tell by my username, I'm a huge fan of both Sportstalk games--especially NFL 94. I find the play-by-play some of the best (MUCH better than even modern Madden commentary), the menu music peppy and enjoyable, the controls good, and the graphics quite nice as well. '94 is better than '93, but they're all pretty good. I wish there had been SportsTalk Hockey, Sportstalk Basketball, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportstalk85 View Post
    2.0! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! :P

As you can tell by my username, I'm a huge fan of both Sportstalk games--especially NFL 94. I find the play-by-play some of the best (MUCH better than even modern Madden commentary), the menu music peppy and enjoyable, the controls good, and the graphics quite nice as well. '94 is better than '93, but they're all pretty good. I wish there had been SportsTalk Hockey, Sportstalk Basketball, etc.
    If you were a Sports Talk Fan, you'd know there was Sports Talk Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    If you were a Sports Talk Fan, you'd know there was Sports Talk Baseball
    Oh, I do. Allow me to clarify my unclear phrasing. By "both games," I meant both sports--Baseball and Football. Since I mentioned 2 of the football games, I can see how that would be a bit unclear! My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportstalk85 View Post
    Oh, I do. Allow me to clarify my unclear phrasing. By "both games," I meant both sports--Baseball and Football. Since I mentioned 2 of the football games, I can see how that would be a bit unclear! My bad!
    It was more unclear as you said this:

I wish there had been SportsTalk Hockey, Sportstalk Basketball, etc"

It would have been hard, if not impossible for there to be Sports Talk for basketball or hockey and have the game be any fun. He would fall behind on most every play and the game would be slow as hell*.

I think that had it been feasible, Sega would have tried it. They do/did that sort of thing. I'm talking to you, X-perts.

It kind of felt that maybe David Robinson's Supreme Court could have been SportsTalk-ized, but that game wasn't that (or really any) good to begin with.

* in my opinion

EDIT: Another thing: Sega hasn't really ever put out a hockey game that has been worth much of anything, either. So, it prolly wouldn't have been any good.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Go Get-Em! Wildside Expert philiptwood's Avatar

Very unique game... I use play a lot back in the day. Sometime I let the computer play itself just to hear the game talk.
    Some call me PTW-ACE.

really not a bad game. id give it a 6. really good commentary, alot better than the first sportstalk, and just about every other football game through to the 128 bit era. they just give you so much information throughout the game. its really a pretty good simulation of football. alot more realistic than madden gameplay maybe thats why nobody likes it. the long games allow time for realistic football strategy. the difficulty of this game is probobly what frustrates many first time players such as the person who wrote the review. if you dont have enough of a football mind to call the appropriate plays at the appropriate time you will get burned on defense and you're offense will get shut down every time. you have to be on you're toes mentally throughout the game in order to be competitive unlike the madden games on the genesis where you can coast through a season unbeaten without ever putting any thought into you're playbook or the controlls for that matter, thats why there so fun you can just pickem up and start playing. thats where the sportstalk/nfl 94 games differ from madden there not pick up and play games. you really have to learn the controlls and put real thought into youre play selection. thats what turns so many off when it comes to the franchise. one big problem about the game to me is that none of the players have any numbers or names. thats a big deal to me if they at least had numbers id score it a 7. nfl 94 on the other hand is much improved in every department and is a solid 7 or 8 and one of the best games on the genesis to play a full season through.
    Last edited by Nobi; 11-03-2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: forgot some relevent info

Thread Information