Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PGA Tour Golf II

Sonic PGA Tour Golf II

No one today doubts the massive popularity of EA's Tiger Woods series. It's been a juggernaut for more than a decade, going back to its console roots on the Genesis as PGA Tour Golf, and even farther back than that on computers. The first title was a massive hit, and the sequel offered more of everything without really fiddling with the formula. Was it a recipe for success or did it hit the rough? Read our full review and find out.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-15-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Road Rasher

first comment goes to me and he got it wrong, this is gaming perfection as was the original and pga tour golf 3, everything here is perfect

Are those really Genesis graphics? They seem more at home on an EGA-graphics PC - even for an Amiga game it'd look weak. I don't know, the looks are pretty unimpressive for a 16-bit era game.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Its good for a sports game, but nothing too impressive and graphics seem dated, overall a good game though

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

The game is okay for 16 bit standards, but there weren't hardly any good golf games on the Genesis. But, this is the best you could do in the day. I bet it had a small niche of the market, just like today with TW.

IMO, the golf games didn't become rockin (I'm talking serious golf games, not goofy ones like Mario Golf or Hot Shots) until the analog swing system of today.

No one will ever believe me, but I still think the best goofy golf game is Mario Golf for the GBC. Write it down.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

Quote Originally Posted by The Sports Guy View Post
    The game is okay for 16 bit standards, but there weren't hardly any good golf games on the Genesis. But, this is the best you could do in the day. I bet it had a small niche of the market, just like today with TW.

IMO, the golf games didn't become rockin (I'm talking serious golf games, not goofy ones like Mario Golf or Hot Shots) until the analog swing system of today.

No one will ever believe me, but I still think the best goofy golf game is Mario Golf for the GBC. Write it down.
    What? Best "goofy" golf game is Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

See? No one believes me, haha. The GBC version is simply amazing.
    Sega-16's Resident Sports Authority. Chief Heckler of the Midwest.

Next up on the tee:
    Tecmo Super Bowl III
    Bass Masters Classic

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

There's a stray screenshot from the original PGA Tour in this review.

How about some release variations? There are 3 areas of concern here:
    - the text in the green box on the cover
    - the additional label affixed to the paper cover
    - the part number on the cartridge label.

There are 2 different text versions in the green box on the cover. They are:
    - "6 courses, 5 tournaments and a skins challenge"
    - "7 courses, 5 tournaments and a skins challenge"

There are 2 different labels that can be found on the cover.
    - EA Sports Limited edition
    - If it's on the Tour it's in the Game (facing left)
    - If it's on the Tour it's in the Game (facing right)

There are (at least) three different cover insert sizes
    - thick box, thick border
    - normal box, thin border
    - normal box, thick border

There are 2 different cartridge part numbers:
    - 7155 (Made in Taiwan, EA Sports missing TM)
    - 7155 (Assembled in USA, EA Sports TM)
    - 7155A

At least these combinations exist:
    1. 7 courses, Limited Edition, 7155 (either), 715501 on back
    2. 7 courses, In the Game, 7155 (either), 715501 on back
    3. 7 courses, no label, 7155 (either), 715501 on back
    4. 7 courses, both labels, 7155 (?), 715501 on back
    5. 6 courses, in the Game (facing left), 7155A, thick box, 715501A on back
    6. 6 courses, In the Game (facing right), 7155A, normal box, 715501A on back
    7. 6 courses, In the Game (facing right), 7155A, normal box, 715501B on back
    8. 6 courses, In the Game (facing left), 7155A, normal box, 715501B on back
    Last edited by Tripredacus; 05-18-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

It appears to be the case that the 7155A cartridge is included in the two releases that say "6 courses" on the front. On the back of each box, there is the item number. On the 7 courses releases, the number is 715501. On the 6 courses releases, it is 715501A. So I am fair confident that the A carts match up to the A boxes. However, piecemealing being what it is, it is going to be possible to find boxes and carts mixed up. No one can every be certain unless they were to open a sealed copy and find out this to be wrong.

But ah, notice I say "both" of the 6 courses releases, yet only have one in my post above. Yes sir, that means what you think it means. I found ANOTHER variation of this release!

There is a "normal" and thick box version of the 6 courses version. It is not immediately obvious to look at a picture and to know which there is. My initial research indicates that the red "Its in the game" label's orientation plays a role. In all the 7 courses releases and the 6 courses thick box, if this label is present, it will have its bottom face the lower left corner. On the thin box it is facing the other direction. When I looked on Ebay, all instances of a case with the label facing the other direction is of the 6 courses normal box. None were the 6 courses thick box or the 7 courses. The only way to tell by looking at the case front which 6 courses it is, is the thickness of the lower blue frame along the edge.

The thick box has a slightly bigger insert than the normal box. It is a very small amount, but you can see the border size difference I mentioned:

Here is the red label facing two directions. The one on the top is the normal box, the one on the bottom is the thick box.

Now this box thickness issue is how I found this in the first place. I had gotten this other game in a lot from Ebay recently, but it was not why I bought it. Anyways I decided to check if the one I already had needed any of the inserts, or if there was a better manual, etc, when I saw the boxes were a different size. Of course I first checked the size of the inserts because someone could have just done a case swap in the past. Here I have the Bill Walsh case in the picture to show it is not a pespective issue.

EDIT1: Corrected post to indicate that it is not a "thin" box variation like with F22 Interceptor or other releases that had no tabs to hold the cart. This "normal" box found is a standard size Genesis case, stamped EA with the tabs to hold the large cart. It is thinner than the 1.5x size EA cases but is larger than the previously mentioned "thin" type box. So this post has been changed to state "normal" size instead of thin to avoid confusion.

Separately, here is a comparison of the 7155 (7 courses) and 7155A (6 courses) carts.

7155 is made in Taiwan and has a white PCB. 7155A is Assembled in USA and has a brown PCB.

Perhaps to interest someone, 7155 has some 3 notched screw I don't think I've seen before and certainly don't own a bit that could remove it. 7155A has the typical screw.

That's it for now! Hopefully I won't find any more variations to this game. 6 is enough for me!
    EDIT 2: oh no
    Last edited by Tripredacus; 08-07-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    That's it for now! Hopefully I won't find any more variations to this game. 6 is enough for me!
    EDIT 2: oh no
    Of course, wouldn't you know it, there is a seventh version of this release. Of course there is. Can we stop it there?

Last post I discovered there was this guy:
    5. 6 courses, In the Game (facing right), 7155A, normal box

Which was identifiable by the thin border on the front of the box. However, there seems to have been a correction. Whereas this 6 courses also has the 715501A item number as the thick box, there is another normal box version and it has 715501B on the back instead. It is still 6 courses and has the 7155A cartridge, but the border on the insert is thicker to match the normal design for this release.

There is one on auction here:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/132280318245

Images rehosted here:
    http://imgur.com/a/DN8Nm

Also a hint to identify the normal vs thick box from just pictures, if the border is not visible enough, is the inside of the case. Both the thick and the normal case have the same mold "dots" but the normal box has the Recycle logo in the center inside of a circle, whereas the thick box has the Recycle logo by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    Separately, here is a comparison of the 7155 (7 courses) and 7155A (6 courses) carts.
    As seen in the above image, the 7155 Cart is Made in Taiwan and the EA Sports logo is missing the trademark symbol. It appears all Taiwan 7155 carts are like this... However, there are 3 carts and not two as previously put.

There is 7155, Assembled in USA, with EA Sports trademark
    There is 7155, Made in Taiwan, with EA Sports missing the trademark
    And the 7155A

From what I can tell, either of the 7155 can come in any of the 7 courses boxes, with one exception to the LE with the red label, which is unknown. Originally I had thought that the 7155 Taiwan cart would come in the "original" 7 courses that had no labels and the 7 courses LE would be a transitional to come with either. But it doesn't seem to be that case. We can surmise that the very first releases of the regular 7 courses box came with the Taiwan cart and that the 7 Courses LE was being made at the same time, to explain why both could come with either cart. Anyways, that's my research about it. I HOPE IT IS DONE NOW THANKS.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Do the different game variations actually have less/more courses?

It would be a good idea to try them. Perhaps later in the week once the termperature dies down (I don't have AC).

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I own 7155A and it includes 6 courses:

Southwind
    Eagle Trace
    Scottsdale
    Sawgrass
    Avenal
    PGA West Stadium

The box insert also states "6 courses."

Thread Information