Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: OK, so I got a Sega Master System...

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

Oh man, most of the best SMS titles have already been listed, so I'll just post some of my favorites from when I was younger.

Space Harrier 3D
    This'll require you to track down a SegaScope 3D, but it's well worth it. The initial Space Harrier release on the SMS felt like sort of a let down - no backgrounds (just solid colors) and, despite being accurate to the arcade original (and quite catchy), the lone song in the game got old. Space Harrier 3D is actually an SMS-exclusive sequel to Space Harrier 1, with much better graphics (and really, really good backgrounds), different music for each stage (and again, they're really good, especially for the system), and the 3D effect actually winds up being extremely impressive. It runs at a low framerate, but it absolutely was a show stopper back upon it's release. It's the sort of game you showed to people when they first played your SMS.

Global Defense
    A port of the obscure Sega Arcade game S.D.I. It's pretty difficult due to it's control scheme (you control a cross hair with your d-pad, but if you press a button and hold it, you control your ship instead), but once you get the hang of it, it's a blast. What makes playing this game fun is hunting down the trackball controller. It's not officially supported, but the Trackball controller has a mode which lets the trackball act as a d-pad in any game. Doing so make the game play much better. You quickly realize it's essentially a modern (at the time) take on missile command - sort of what Galaga was to Space Invaders. Pretty fun game.

Maze Hunter 3D
    Another SegaScope 3D game, but this one isn't as "wow" worthy as Space Harrier 3D. It's pretty much a mix of guantlet and something kinda like Zelda. It's by no means an action-RPG, and it's light on puzzles, but it's definitely slower paced than Guantlet. Essentially, think Gauntlet with Zelda's control. The music is catchy and the 3D effect, while not mind blowing like Space Harrier 3D, is still great.

Gangster Town
    Pound for pound my favorite lightgun game ever. Most other lightgun games at the time were either hunting games or shooting galleries. Most people think of stuff like Duck Hunt or Safari Hunt when they think of 8-bit light gun games, and those games get very dull, very fast. Hogan's Ally on the NES is well remembered simply because it's a different kind of shooting gallery, but even that's not that great. Gangster Town is different. It's pretty much the same kind of game as Lethal Enforcers - you patrol a stage, killing gangsters, collecting power ups, and fighting bosses. There are these awesome car stages where you can blow the other cars up and get attacked by a biplane. Considering stuff like Rambo 3 or Operation Wolf were still years away, this was incredible at the time. The game is also really, really goofy, and you can kill each badguy twice, as they turn into an angel upon death (which you can then shoot down to hell).

Sonic the Hedgehog
    The very first one is the best one in my opinion. The very last game to be released in the US, I absolutely lucked out on picking up a rare US copy back in the day. It's the best platformer on the system as far as I'm concerned, and it can absolutely stand toe to toe with the 8-bit mario series. A completely different game from the Genesis version, it was later ported (rather poorly) to the Game Gear. There are numerous differences between the ports, ranging from small things (like a much more pulled back camera in the SMS version due to screen size) to huge things (like the level design for several levels, including all of Labyrinth Zone, being 100% different between the two versions). A great game well worth picking up.

Wonderboy in Monster Land
    Most will undoubtedly recommend Wonderboy III, and that's for good reason. It's arguably the best game on the entire system. What people don't recommend quite as often is it's different, but also great prequel. This is the wonderboy game I first got, and I still play it to this day. Sort of a half-way point between the level-based, action arcade Wonderboy, and the level-less, metroidvania Wonderboy III, Monster Land introduced many new elements to the series, such as armor, shields, swords, boots, the entire currency system, stats, hearts, potions, and magic. It was a major departure from the original, but retained it's level progression, as well as the time limit. A great, classic game, that is actually a respectable port from the Arcade original.

There are tons of other great SMS titles to pick up. Just like the NES, the early games tend to feel a lot like arcade games, and then around 89-90, the feel of most games shifts to higher quality, more "console-like" experiences. Most later games never came to the US, giving the system a sort of rough-around-the-edges feel, but since you can run european games no-problem, and you're likely going to be buying games online, that's no problem. A few obvious titles I'd recommend:

Shinobi
    Outrun
    Hang-On
    AstroWarrior
    Phantasy Star
    Ys
    Golden Axe Warrior
    Psycho Fox
    Zillion
    Fantasy Zone II
    Ninja Gaiden
    Streets of Rage
    Ghouls n Ghosts
    R-Type
    Castle of Illusion
    Lucky Dime Caper
    Jurassic Park
    Ghostbusters
    Rambo
    Double Dragon
    Rampage

And that's just the tip of the game selection. Enjoy the system!
    A retarded Sonic.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiespruce View Post
    Do any of the capacitors appear to be leaking? Would you be able to take a picture of the system's board? perhaps some tech savvy members here could help you out a little more.
    I actually never considered the possibility it could be a capacitor issue. Thanks for the suggestion eddiespruce. In the next day or two, I will take a photograph of he system's board. Maybe someone could ascertain what the problem could be and how to fix it.

I'm still hopeful that the console can be fixed!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    I actually never considered the possibility it could be a capacitor issue. Thanks for the suggestion eddiespruce. In the next day or two, I will take a photograph of he system's board. Maybe someone could ascertain what the problem could be and how to fix it.

I'm still hopeful that the console can be fixed!
    You might try asking around on the SMS Power boards as well.
    A retarded Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSonicRetard View Post
    You might try asking around on the SMS Power boards as well.
    Hahaha! Actually back in 2009 that is what I did. Everybody who responded to my question told not to bother fixing the console and just to buy one from ebay.

Bah! I'm stubborn though and I have a feeling that the issue is very fixable. If the internal games on the system works fine than my suspicion rests with the the game slot itself. At least that is what I believe. But I could be wrong.
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Hahaha! Actually back in 2009 that is what I did. Everybody who responded to my question told not to bother fixing the console and just to buy one from ebay.

Bah! I'm stubborn though and I have a feeling that the issue is very fixable. If the internal games on the system works fine than my suspicion rests with the the game slot itself. At least that is what I believe. But I could be wrong.
    I just thought of this, do you have any SegaCard games? If one of those work then I would think you could be pretty sure that the problem is the cartridge slot at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I just thought of this, do you have any SegaCard games? If one of those work then I would think you could be pretty sure that the problem is the cartridge slot at least.
    Great idea! Unfortunately, I do not believe I have any SEGACard games as part of my Sega Master System library. It would be a good way to test the console. i'll have to check the SMS games I have just to make sure. But yes, that is a fantastic idea! Thanks for the suggestion! You rock!

Thread Information