Quantcast

Thread: Puggsy (Sega CD)

Puggsy (Sega CD)

The Genesis saw its fair share of computer ports, especially of the Amiga kind, due to the similarities in hardware. Psygnosis took great advantage of this easy avenue in porting, and it released many of its wares on the console. It was also one of the few developers to embrace the then-struggling Sega CD, and a good portion of its catalogue appeared there as well. Puggsy was one such title, and it received a cg-rendered introduction, as well as an enhanced soundtrack. Thinking about going with the cart version instead? We've got a full review to help you decide, so check it out.
    Last edited by Melf; 02-23-2009 at 10:31 PM.

I could never really get into Puggsy. To be honest, I can't really get into many puzzle action games. The graphics are pretty good, but I think the cartridge has all of the same effects (not 100% sure, though). I know there are some screens with about 67 (max) colors onscreen at once.

Good review, but I feel it didn't answer if I should get this version or the cartridge version.
    Last edited by Zebbe; 07-16-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

I have to agree with Zebbe. I remember liking the cartridge based soundtrack a lot, so is it any different?

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    I could never really get into Puggsy. To be honest, I can't really get into many puzzle action games. The graphics are pretty good, but I think the cartridge has all of the same effects (not 100% sure, though). I know there are some screens with about 67 (max) colors onscreen at once.
    and more man the graphics are terrifieing good.

outrunner

If it included all the "puggs in space" amiga demos.I would but it higher on my list.
    But the soundtrack might be enough alone to purchase.

yeah that Review definitely didn't answer the question of whether to CD or Cart version, and there were no comparisons in it whatsoever. other than that it was good review. I have the Cart version Complete, it has 6 bosses compared to 9 on the CD thats all I can think of besides the CD version having a slightly better soundtrack.

Second Base = Best Base Raging in the Streets Tanegashima's Avatar

The CD game is the Next Level of gaming, any technician could tell you that. So if the CD is the next level, then it is obviously decades ahead of the cartridge version, even if you think they're the same. So obviously the CD is the only way to go.

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I have the cd version and it does have a nice but grainy intro and good music. It seems like it must be pretty equivalent if you just get the cart version, probably not that big of a difference other than cut scenes and cd music. Don't know if there are extra levels though as Ive never played the cart version.

I love 16 bit beach level games like monkey island and cool spot. Theres just something about the beach

Genesis fan Sports Talker Samamo's Avatar

Hmm I would get it but that character is just so ugly I don't think I could ignore it and enjoy the game :P What do you guys think of him?

If that's your only problem, you could try hunting down "Warioland 3", a pirate-hack of Puggsy where his sprite is replaced by a facsimile of Wario but everything else (gameplay, enemy sprites etc.) remains the same. Lazy hack, decent game (cartridge only, though )!
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Master of Shinobi

I've been wondering whether to add this game (the cart version) to my top 100 Mega Drive list for quite a while now, i'm just starting to think that the puzzles become a bit too repetitive as the game goes on, it certainly has some pretty awesome graphics and music (terrible main character design though)

Thread Information