Quantcast

Thread: It's Time For Some Scolding From Tiido...

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Default It's Time For Some Scolding From Tiido...

To those who don't know: a while ago I modded my model 2 VA1 Genesis with both a 50/60 Hz switch and an EN/JP switch. By closely following MMMonkey's website, I lifted the appropriate pin for the EN/JP mod as the tutorial directed. Later, I read a comment on these forums by TmEE (Tiido) saying that pin-lifting will cause future problems since the lifted pin can easily break off with little stress. Well, long story short: I was working on an additional mod and the pin broke clean off.

Is there any way I can restore the EN/JP mod on my VA1?

At least the 50/60 Hz switch still works well...

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

With a really fine tip, you can try tinning that place where the old pin was... if you succeed, you'll be able to solder a very very thin wire to it, then hot glue it (or use any other way to make it totally stable) once you get secure solder and use that thin wire from then on... other option is to break the chip shell a little so the pins get revealed that are in the plastic and solder a write on top of it...

...and what a title for the thread, but it caught my attention :P
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Possibly, POSSIBLY, you could scrap away some of the casing to expose the smallest amount of the remainder of the leg and solder to this.

possibly

*edit*
    lol who should pop up when I was writing this....

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    With a really fine tip, you can try tinning that place where the old pin was... if you succeed, you'll be able to solder a very very thin wire to it...
    The pin that broke off is the thinnest thing I've got. Perhaps I'll try reattaching that.

...then hot glue it...
    I should have done that in the first place!

other option is to break the chip shell a little so the pins get revealed that are in the plastic and solder a write on top of it...
    These are my only options, correct? No other areas of the board can change the EN/JP settings?

...and what a title for the thread, but it caught my attention :P
    When right goes wrong, call in the pro(s).

Quote Originally Posted by omp
    Possibly, POSSIBLY, you could scrap away some of the casing to expose the smallest amount of the remainder of the leg and solder to this.
    Noted and still very much appreciated. Thank you for your time and help!

**2020 Update**:

It ain't pretty, but it works:

I used a conical grinding bit to expose the die, then applied a tinned ceramic capacitor lead (at 370C) to restore the connection. The trace has been isolated from the other side of the board. Unfortunately, the bond to the trace is stronger than the die, but it will have to do.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Excellent resolution. Now I don't feel so bad about leaving my Xbox disassembled on a workbench for a year, or having taken five years to replace the laser in my Goldstar 3DO, even with the replacement part sitting in a dusty envelope from China for that duration.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

This thread gave me much anxiety ,you are a mad man! I'm happy you were able to salvage it.. In the past I have used an exacto knife to painstakingly remove some of the top of the chip. For posterity, could you post an image of the dremel tool you used specifically?

^ I used a Nikota #01244 Rotary Tool Kit. There are various photos of it available online. It's a deservedly discontinued product.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Thanks for that info. I haven't damaged any of my pins yet, but this is good to know when I do break off a leg

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Those that defy the Tiido must pay the consequences

I've done a number of these repairs over the years. I would say it's almost always doable, Just a matter of patience and good tools at your disposal. Congrats on getting it going again! I would mark this system off as "no more mods" since these repairs are often quite fragile.
    My Website:
    SEGASONICFAN DESIGNS

Please don't PM me for free repair advice.
    I only offer free repair advice through public forums as a service to the community and as a repository of information.
    If you cannot post here, I recommend these places that don't have posting restrictions:
    https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php
    https://www.smspower.org/forums/
    https://www.obscuregamers.com/forums/

Thread Information