Quantcast

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Side by Side: TMNT Beat-'Em-Ups (Genesis vs. SNES)

16-bit Lover Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by ki_atsushi View Post
    Nah, style and visual effects always take a back seat to game play.
    Exactly, gameplay is king thats why TiT is better we have more moves if I recalled correctly the back attack is one of them being able to throw an enemy to the screen is another. Plus TiT in my opinion has a better story going thru time similar to Chrono Trigger is what really takes the cake.

The control is about the same both are smooth. However, my money is on TiT.
    Last edited by pocketgamer; 06-29-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

This is a great article and it impressed my friend who only grew up w/ the SNES; he was never interested in the Genesis until I started showing him its awesomeness the last few years.

He actually grew up loving the SNES game and he was impressed by how thorough the article was, even including music samples to compare. Now he wants me to buy the Hyperstone Heist.

I love articles like these that feature & compare games for other systems! Nice that this one appeals to SNES fans, who might not even be very interested in the Genesis
    Last edited by Ecco; 06-29-2010 at 06:09 PM.

PimpTaxi is real 2401 Master of Shinobi PimpUigi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pocketgamer View Post
    TiT is better we have more moves if I recalled correctly the back attack is one of them
    No. That move is also in HH.

Also, HH has Game Genie codes that let you do your deadly attack without it draining your health.
    Thus giving you an extra attack.

And again, not having the "3D" throw is a good thing, since that throw leaves you open, and doesn't kill extra foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

Banned by Administrators 16bitter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    That "Mode 7" throw is pathetic. It is 2 frames of block animation, THAT'S IT! It's not real hardware scaling.
    Which makes its conspicuous absence from HH all the more pathetic.

Attacking the SNES version on this level is not something that helps the Genesis.

As far as ports, you truly get the step-down effect with the Genesis here, unfortunately. The SNES was an arguably superior version of a top-flight arcade cab, while the Genesis was home to a late and stripped-down variation that's not quite a port and, yet, not really anything else, either.

Well, there's, actually, a sense of it being a lazy mash-up of 'Turtles in Time' and the NES port of the original arcade game, at least as regards an 'extra' in the carry-thru of the dojo level.

As described as different-but-equal in the article, this version's problems -- the laziness in coding and design of levels, or the inherent lack -- is felt in gameplay. The game does not flow well. The pace feels wrong, both in the length of levels and as regards fights within them on the harder difficulties.

The game, in my opinion, becomes tedious.

The graphics are quite the letdown as well. Some describe them as 'more realistic' in this thread, but they're actually largely drab and boring. The black bar that covers or runs parallel as the status bar just adds to the visual mediocrity.

The first level alone is terrible on the standards of pace and look. Not a good way to open a game, particularly as compared to the SNES' Turtles.

Nothing interesting happens in the background of the opening sewer portion, nor the foreground. Not. A. Thing. It has as much dynamism and 'pop' as the absolute worst of Hanna Barbara. Compare that to the SNES' 'Time', where the opening level is a partially constructed NYC skyscraper with attendant skyline. It has a sense of showmanship, with ongoing setpieces to break the level up and keep it fresh, from the wrecking ball to Krang's towering head shooting lasers.

When the game reaches street-level, it appears to be, at first, a simple retread of the arcade/SNES' second stage. But it quickly -- meaning almost as soon as the differences appear, you're out of this sequence, anyway -- becomes apparent that this is a stripped-down, condensed version of that level. This was probably the least interesting level from 'Turtles in Time', and yet it's somehow made less interesting here. The fenceline sequence, with foot soldiers jumping out over the fence and into the foreground, has been entirely removed; in its place, the game provides a shortened version of the parking lot sequence from the first arcade game. The empty-lot-as-dead-end that closes out the level in the SNES is gone as well, adding to the tedium, and leaving this portion of the level, like that that proceeded, with precious little diversity.

Back to the sewer and...the only difference is water. Sewer water. Apt. That the anthropomorphic turtles now walk on; this is either really lazy programming, taking half the set-piece from level 3 of 'Turtles in Time', or a clever commentary on Darwinism versus Christianity. Something tells me, it's the former.

Same boring background that opened the game. Redux.

This is how the game looks and plays, from my memory, throughout. Or nearly so.

The lack of a "Mode 7" throw is actually a microcosm of the problem that defines the game. Lack of visual flow, effort and/or entertainment which makes for a game that simply drags.

Setpieces and gimmicks -- aka ideas -- matter in video games. HH is seriously deficient in these areas.

PimpTaxi is real 2401 Master of Shinobi PimpUigi's Avatar

I'm glad the mode 7 throw is gone.
    It's only there to punish you for attempting a throw.

The other throw gives you invincible frames, and attacks enemies...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

The "Genesis version rules over the snes version" discussion in this thread is laughable. nuff said.

thought I was the only half shell here great thread! I love in the arcade version the tune pizza power is faster than the single which was released as a track on their tour concert. I've heard that they released the track kn konami allstars somewhere. I'm wondering as the arcade had the words is it the whole song or oneminute. I love the tune even more sped up!!!

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I like Hyperstone Heist and I'm one of the biggest Genesis fanboys there is but Turtles in Time is the better and more memorable game any way you try to slice it.

As 16-Bitter basically put it there's so much more going on in Turtles in Time that ultimately makes it a lot more interesting.

Hyperstone Heist is one of the first games we rented back in '93, I love its gameplay, music, and use of colors, and it will always be in my top 10 Mega Drive games. Raphael will always be my favorite player character and turtle in general (mostly due to how he is portrayed in the original 1990 movie).

I've never played much of Turtles in Time, but have tried several times for the past 5 years or so. I can't seem to get into it, though today I have gotten further than before. Currently I'm at the Technodrome.

But I'm having problems. Getting past its use of colors, mostly (don't know the word for it). The game is also kicking my butt, I'm playing with Raph on normal. People always say Raph is the hardest, so that might not have been a smart move. I'm also not a fan of how the music sounds, but that might be my Mega Drive preference - as I've had that problem with SNES games before.

I'm not blind to what the SNES game has to offer of course; more animations, levels, cool bosses (and more of them), and a lot of in-game things (like attached wrecking balls instead of rolling balls) make a lot more sense than Hyperstone Heist.

Do you guys think I will learn to enjoy this more? Maybe I should try easy with another turtle first? Already looked for cheats I could use as a trainer, but haven't found anything. I also find that I'm nowhere near as patient anymore when it comes to learning boss patterns, but I've heard it before from some friends.

Any advice? I'd really like to play through this and see all levels and bosses, but I find that I'm just not enjoying it so far.

Thread Information