Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo OutRun

Meh Turbo OutRun

Sega's OutRun series has been tearing up the roads for almost three decades. Though gamers received a true sequel only a few years ago with the incredible OutRun 2, there were many titles released in the series during the interval. One arcade sequel that was brought home to Europe and Japan was Turbo OutRun, and while it is faithful to its source material in spirit, the actual execution leaves much to be desired. Read our full review and don't bother braking for this roadkill unless you simply must have all the games in the series.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.

This turd of an arcade port was developed by Tiertex, of "Strider Returns" fame. I'm wondering why it was even released in Japan. At least "Outrunners" had somewhat of an excuse for sucking on the Genesis; it was originally a System 32 coin-op, one of the most powerful dedicated 2D arcade boards, EVAR.

Um, this isn't Turbo Outrun. This is something completly different. This is bad. I'm glad I didn't import this turd.

"You could have a bumper car, bumping.
    This amusement never ends..."

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I'd love to play the arcade version again.

I also want a convertible Ferrari F40.

But most importantly:

I played this port via emulation and was so underwhelmed, I cried.

That and Sega never gave this game a proper arcade perfect home port....ever.

DAMN YOUS SEGA, DAMN YOUS ALL TA HELL!!

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    I'd love to play the arcade version again.

I also want a convertible Ferrari F40.

But most importantly:

I played this port via emulation and was so underwhelmed, I cried.

That and Sega never gave this game a proper arcade perfect home port....ever.

DAMN YOUS SEGA, DAMN YOUS ALL TA HELL!!
    agreed and the only reason I gave this game a 6 is because of the good music and the challenge,(I have never got past stage 4 before), apart from that it's awful

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

It doesn't look too bad. But music is key to my Outrunning experience. The review makes it seem pretty lackluster?
    S A V E R U S T Y

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Nunzio View Post
    It doesn't look too bad. But music is key to my Outrunning experience. The review makes it seem pretty lackluster?
    not when the game sucks big time for its sprites, I totally agree with the reviewer here

Sega should have used lock-on cartridge technology for this game since the arcade version of Turbo Out Run was just an upgrade kit you added to Out Run (I think?). The graphics and game play would have been definitely much better than what came to be. The review score is right on the money, btw.

In the case of the Genesis ports, they were handled by two different developers; SIMS/Hertz of Japan handled "Outrun", Tiertex of You're Up handled "Turbo Outrun". Sega didn't place much emphasis on their arcade-to-Genesis ports either; if they were playable at best then that's all that mattered, graphic and sound quality be damned. Of course, some of their coin-ops were just too much for the Genesis to handle, or they were outsourced to crappy European developers, which had disastrous results (Probe with "G-Loc", Tiertex with "Turbo Outrun").

Master of Shinobi

Tiertex......the name that filled Amiga users with dread.

Quite how they survived the 80's let alone stick around to this day is a mystery. At least Probe, though much maligned, managed arcade ports that were quite competent, but Tiertex's arcade ports were almost always dreadful. Their Amiga ports all ranged between poor and disasterous, and it was always a puzzle as to why they were repeatedly given high profile titles to work on. To be fair they did a few decent ports between consoles of similar levels, but that would have been pretty hard to screw up.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I always wonder how these things could happen: I am having a hard time imagining someone at Sega of Japan's HQ thinking about some obscure European developer to hand out a Mega Drive port of a game that isn't really that well suited for the hardware anyway...

If I asked someone as classy as SIMS/Hertz to do Outrun, why would I ask Tiertex to do Turbo Outrun ?
    Last edited by retrospiel; 01-08-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

i love outrun both on the genny and in the arcade(well at least until they went out of bussiness) but ive never even heard of turbo outrun is it really that bad?
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    i love outrun both on the genny and in the arcade(well at least until they went out of bussiness) but ive never even heard of turbo outrun is it really that bad?
    IMHO yeah. The arcade game is decent, with some good music, but the genesis version sucks. The music is weak compared to the original, the scrolling is some of the jerkiest I've seen in this kind of racing game, and it's not a faithful port in any way.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    I love the arcade version. The music, the "race" aspect, and the F40.

This port should never be used as an introduction to the game.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    I love the arcade version. The music, the "race" aspect, and the F40.

This port should never be used as an introduction to the game.
    I agree hence it was released in 1992

Thread Information