Quantcast

Thread: Any real differences between Earthworm Jim 2 for Genesis and Saturn?

Default Any real differences between Earthworm Jim 2 for Genesis and Saturn?

I would suppose the Saturn version has better graphics, but is the game basically the same in both versions?
    Ow! My small intestine!

The 32-Bit ports of EWJ2 (on Saturn and EU PS1) featured enhanced and, in some levels, completely redesigned backgrounds (they were developed by Screaming Pink, not by the original developers, Shiny). Of course, they also featured arranged, CD-quality music. The level layouts and overall gameplay however, are identical to the 16-Bit versions on Genesis & SNES.

I think all versions other than MD/Genesis (not sure about GBA) allowed weapon selection, the Genesis lacked that for whatever reason, and it's really annoying and stupid IMO. (6-button support and/or a combo for the 3-button pad, or even selctiong at the pause screen could have easily facilitated this) The keep the pointless Manta sheild as a combo in the MD, but don't include weapon selection with all the different guns you pick up? It just doesn't make much sense.

BTW, some of the SNES BGs were completely reworked as well, there are at least 3 distinct BGs for Anything but Tangerines, all with the roots/rock formations int he foreground, the orange planet thing on the Genesis, forest+moon or sun and waterfall on SNES, and multiple, colorful planets reflecting over the sea (or something) in the Saturn port. (not sure about PSX or the various PC versions)

SNES is also the only version to have Jim playing a little tune on the accordion at the title screen. (all others repeat the same note over and over) -other than the GBA port. (which was a crappy conversion of the SNES game)

Digital sample quality is also higher on SNES (though mufled as usual), and better still on the 32-bit platforms, additional voice samples are in those as well, or at least the saturn.

The weapon selection is the only significant change though, other than one of the PC "Whole can 'o worms" compilation (which lacks level 2). It really kills the Genesis version for me, which is otherwise an awesome version in spite if being a bit more dithered with grainier samples. (some of the few FM SFX aren't that great either, music is awesome)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Thanks for the info! Still searching for a copy of Saturn EWJ2 copy and a copy of SCD EWJ Special Edition. They are out there, I just don't want to pay the typical going prices so I continue to shop for a bargain!
    Ow! My small intestine!

If you own an SNES I'd reccomend that version if the price is right.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Thread Information