Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: did i get a good HD model 1 genesis ?

Master of Shinobi streetsofrage's Avatar

Default did i get a good HD model 1 genesis ?

i bought a model 1 hd genesis today for 30$ with all hookups and some crappy games i just want to know if i got a good one on the mother board it says

SEGA IC BDM5 USA
    ym2612

it has tmss
    My Consoles: Nes(toaster), Nes (toploader), Snes, Sega Genesis 2x Model 1 (HD and Va7) , Genesis Model 2 ,Sega Cd model 2 (bois ver 2.00) ,Sega Saturn N64, PS1 , Xbox 1(modded running XMBC) , 2x Xbox360(2 jaspers)

My Handhelds: Sega Game Gear , Nintendo Ds, Sega Nomad

i hooked it up to my logitech thx pc speakers trough the stereo jack and it sounds amazing , there's a lot of bass , i need a component wire now
    My Consoles: Nes(toaster), Nes (toploader), Snes, Sega Genesis 2x Model 1 (HD and Va7) , Genesis Model 2 ,Sega Cd model 2 (bois ver 2.00) ,Sega Saturn N64, PS1 , Xbox 1(modded running XMBC) , 2x Xbox360(2 jaspers)

Banned by Administrators

how do i find out if my GEn1 is HD? Does it say "High Defenition Graphics" in white text on the system, if so then i have one too, lol

Also will it make a big diff in graphics on large tvs?

by saying hd genesis i mean a model 1 sega genesis that has the high definition graphics logo on it , its not really high definition by today's standards

Banned by Administrators

does it have a different graphics chip or something or is the hardware all the same?

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Better audio mixing circuit and thus better audio, the actual YM2612 technically is the same.

(there are improvements to the D/A converter in later models, but those aren't significant in comparison to the inferior analog mixing)

Graphics are the same technically (Games look identical via RGB).
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

That 'High Definition Graphics' claim doesn't actually mean anything in the literal sense. It's just an indication of the type of motherboard that's underneath the hood. Basically, every HDG model has a high-quality audio circuit, so you can never go wrong with an HDG Genesis.

Judging from the location of the region jumpers on the motherboard, this looks like a later revision of the HDG motherboard. Probably VA5 or VA6. Does it show the TMSS license screen on startup? It looks like this:

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

it has TMSS, said in first post.... no TMSS means a bit better sound than usual, text alone is not enough
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    That 'High Definition Graphics' claim doesn't actually mean anything in the literal sense. It's just an indication of the type of motherboard that's underneath the hood. Basically, every HDG model has a high-quality audio circuit, so you can never go wrong with an HDG Genesis.

Judging from the location of the region jumpers on the motherboard, this looks like a later revision of the HDG motherboard. Probably VA5 or VA6. Does it show the TMSS license screen on startup? It looks like this:

all it says on the motherboard is :
    SEGA IC BDM5 USA

its has TMSS , the sound is amazing compared to my va7

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    it has TMSS, said in first post.... no TMSS means a bit better sound than usual, text alone is not enough
    Oh, right, missed that part. So it's a VA5 or VA6. Either way, you're good.

but im still using that crappy rf switch so the picture sucks on my 32 inch lcd Panasonic so right now im thinking

1) mod this genesis for s-video
    2)get a scart cable and scart to hdmi converter
    3)just get a component cable

There is no Component cable for the Genesis, because the Genesis doesn't output a Component signal. Only RGB and Composite.

As for the other two options, SCART->HDMI will give you the best image quality on your LCD, but the obvious downside is that you can only use it on a modern HDTV. S-Video is a more flexible solution and if you ever decide to do yourself a favor by getting a CRT TV, you can use the S-Video connection on that too.

ya i meant Composite , but s-video mod cost money around the same price as just getting a scart cable and converter box and supposedly scart outputs a nicer picture then s-video

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

I have to take some comparison pictures.

- EDIT - These were made by evildragon:

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Here we go.

Sonic 1

Composite

S-Video

RGB

Emulator
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

the nicest ones to me are rgb and emulator

Thread Information