Quantcast

Thread: Sorcerian

Megadrive Sorcerian

Playing an import RPG can be pretty darn hard, especially when the initial menu screen is the most text-heavy in the game! Such is the case of Falcom's Sorcerian, which shows little mercy from the get-go. Its character creation menu and options are all in Japanese, and it's virtually impossible to even create a character if you're not fluent, let alone actually play the game. Many gamers never got past this, and they missed out on a decent little action/RPG. Thankfully, a partially translated ROM is out there, and it is the only way to get anywhere with the Mega Drive version. We clawed our way through the process and spent some time with Sorcerian, the results of which can be read in our full review.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-01-2011 at 04:42 PM.

I haven't played this one, but intend to once it's fully fan-translated (whenever that happens)... Speaking of that, did you get my update on the fan-translations feature, Melf?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Yes sir! I'm going to (finally) work on that this weekend.

Thanks =).

Maybe its just me but I think you should've waited for a full translation of the game to be able to do a more comprehensive and fair review, overall though I enjoyed the review even and found the information contained within it interesting even though I think the review flawed due to reasons I mentioned earlier.

Sports Talker

Ken, this review was especially well-written. Kudos.

Sports Talker

Jesse813, you make a fair point - in terms of presenting us with a comprehensive evaluation of the game's narrative, the review is clearly incomplete.

But, in terms of informing us of the game's mechanical makeup - its meat and potatoes, if you will - the review's a success.

So, in the end, we're left with a personal question: what compels us to play RPGs?

The plot isn't all that important though, since each scenario has a story of its own, and none of them are really tied in together. If I waited around for someone to finish translating it in order to do the review, we'd never do one. This partial translation was done years ago, and no one has finished it. If and when it is complete, I'll just amend the review to include information about the story for the scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    If I waited around for someone to finish translating it in order to do the review, we'd never do one.
    How can you say that? I just looked it up and a new patch was released last year, and it seems to have more meat on the bones than the last one, even if little. The creator intends to complete it once he gets some help with it.

http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1407/

Where did you find that patch? The only one I found was from a few years ago and only translated the main menu and a few text boxes in-game.

Regardless, there is no overall plot, as I said. I don't see the overwhelming need for a full patch to do the review. It would be nice if one could understand the story fully, but it's not necessary to play the game and enjoy it. The partial translation is enough for that.

I found that patch on that very site :P.

And the review can be updated as you said, once a complete patch is released.

Then the patch you found was the same one I used, which only has the menu and a few text boxes.

The game doesn't have that much text to begin with, and the opening text when you boot it up is in English. Someone should be able to finish this up pretty quickly, I'd hope.

Ah, nice!

Hm, that still doesn't really change what I said though. Even the partial translation lets you actually play the game. Still, it's nice to see most of it done.

"Smells like MSX spirit", I thought as soon as I fired this on. And sure it is: another nicer-looking MSX port for our MD. As a guy discovering the fascinating history behind the Microsoft and ASCII Corporation-created standard, this is most interesting. Too bad the translation is unfinished and I ended up leaving this alone quite soon. At the present, using the ever handy combat sports slang, this game is a no contest to me.

Thread Information